Unwanted Yahoo Search bugs

Thread: Unwanted Yahoo Search bugs

Unwanted Yahoo Search bugs

I have two, possibly related, problems with my XP desktop with Firefox (Mozilla FF Yahoo! Edition Yahoo 1.7).
    1. My Home page is “Mozilla FF Start Page”; and until recently it brought up a Firefox screen with a Google search slot. But now that page shows a Yahoo Search slot.
    2. I have begun to be plagued by a pop-up --- pagead2 google syndication --- that freezes my pc and requires me to constantly reboot. The pop-up looks like the results of a Yahoo search
    I never deliberated installed Yahoo search. But, apparently I did something recently that allowed the Yahoo Search slot to replace the Google Search slot.
    The <<pagead2 google syndication>> pop-up is a horror. I have seen instructions for deleting it but they involve fiddling with the Registry and I am not comfortable with that.
    Can someone please tell me how I can fix both (or one of) these bugs? Must I go to the Registry to do so? Is there a way I can load in a non-Yahoo version of FF (and still keep using Yahoo email)?
    Thanks for your advice.*** ... Wdc

I have two, possibly related, problems with my XP desktop with Firefox (Mozilla FF Yahoo! Edition Yahoo 1.7).
    1. My Home page is “Mozilla FF Start Page”; and until recently it brought up a Firefox screen with a Google search slot. But now that page shows a Yahoo Search slot.
    2. I have begun to be plagued by a pop-up --- pagead2 google syndication --- that freezes my pc and requires me to constantly reboot. The pop-up looks like the results of a Yahoo search
    I never deliberated installed Yahoo search. But, apparently I did something recently that allowed the Yahoo Search slot to replace the Google Search slot.
    The <<pagead2 google syndication>> pop-up is a horror. I have seen instructions for deleting it but they involve fiddling with the Registry and I am not comfortable with that.
    Can someone please tell me how I can fix both (or one of) these bugs? Must I go to the Registry to do so? Is there a way I can load in a non-Yahoo version of FF (and still keep using Yahoo email)?
    Thanks for your advice.*** ... batpark

When was the last time you scanned for viruses and malware?

Do you have Yahoo toolbar installed? If so, uninstall it.

Is there a way I can load in a non-Yahoo version of FF (and still keep using Yahoo email)?
    You don't need a "Yahoo" version to use Yahoo mail. I've posted the download links on this thread. I'd uninstall the Yahoo version first.
    http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...-1ESR-Released

After you install the "clean" FF, go into Addons and check that there are no Yahoo addons.

midknyte: Thank you.

I had not used my AV in too long. I will get to it now. And I'll take care of all my Yahoo connections as you suggest.

Midknyte:I am about to load the non-yahoo FF. Just to be sure .... I
    will need to first download a browser (likeChrome)? So I can use it to dl the new version of FF after I remove the old version of FF, right?

Moved your post back to your thread.

You can download the new installer BEFORE you uninstall the Yahoo FF. Otherwise, you can just use IE to download the FF installer. Just scroll down and get the English (US) version.
    https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/

I frequently get a pop-up with a Firefox logo that says, in effect, “You are browsing with FF and your video player might be outdated.” A second popup on the same screen says*
    “It is recommended thatyou update to the latest available player. Please update to continue.” **.... with an OK box and without a NoThanks box.

I can’t get back to my browsing without having to fiddle with File Manager to get rid of the pop-up and I often have to reebot.
    Am I correct that the pop-up sounds fishy? If so, why does Mozilla allow such frauds!?
    What can I do to stop this pop-up?
    Thanks for your comments. ... wdc

Flash player

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...63#post1473363
    I already posted in your other thread. Try not to make multiple threads about the same computer.

What can I do to stop this pop-up?
    As I said, I'm guessing it is Adobe Flash. Updating your Flash should get rid of the message. You didn't specify what url you were visiting, so there is no way we can confirm what your problem is.

problem installing Adobe Flash

I dloaded it ok.
    I clicked to install it. I completed 3 of 4 steps. Screens says "Downloaded Completed 100 per cent".
    I click finish.
    but process never Finishes and I don't see Adobe Flash Player on my CP/Remove and Change list.

how can I see whether I have Asobe Flash Player or not?
    ????

Thank you all. I <<think>> my problem is fixed. I ran a Malwarebyte scan and found tons of bad files that I quarantined. My system's performance immediately improved and I no longer get those annoying pop-ups that froze the pc.

I will certainly run Malwarebytes and my av program regularly from now on.

I appreciate all your help and especially your patience. ... wdc

I ran a Malwarebyte scan and found tons of bad files that I quarantined.
    You should really delete the bad files, not just quarantine.

<<You should really delete the bad files, not just quarantine. >>

Done!
    Now I'm going to replace that suspect Adobe Flash Player. Should I REMOVE the old version first?

That wouldn't be a bad idea.

Follow the uninstall instructions here:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player...r-windows.html

15.0.0.152 is the current version.
    http://download.macromedia.com/get/f..._15_plugin.exe

Thread Information