[RESOLVED] show read messages under Everything else in Gmail inbox

Thread: [RESOLVED] show read messages under Everything else in Gmail inbox

Resolved [RESOLVED] show read messages under Everything else in Gmail inbox

I used to be able to see my "read" messages under the "Everything else" section of my inbox, but they have all disappeared. I know I can search for them or look under "all mail" but is there a way to display them again under the "everything else" section?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Brian

Brian Sheridan--
    These are the various styles for your GMail inbox.
    "Inbox styles

To let you read your messages the way you want, Gmail offers different inbox styles:
    •Default - Choose which tabs to use. If you want to see all your messages in one list, just turn off all tabs. Learn more about inbox tabs.
    •Important First - This style brings mail from the contacts you email most often and other important mail to the top of the page. Everything else is in its own section at the bottom of your inbox.
    •Unread First - Unread mail stays at the top; everything else is at the bottom.
    •Starred First - Starred mail stays at the top; everything else is at the bottom.
    •Priority Inbox - Messages classified as important and unread are in the top section, then starred messages, then everything else. Each section can be customized further, so if you want more control over your inbox, Priority Inbox is for you.

Select which inbox style you want to try by clicking the Gmail Inbox down arrow icon arrow that appears when you hover over “Inbox” on the left side of your Gmail page. You can switch between inbox styles any time."

Have you tried switching Style by clicking that down icon arrow?
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Hi Welshjim,

I used the down arrow next to the inbox as you suggested and selected “unread first”. This worked well at first and dropped the messages down to “Everything else” after I read the first 4 messages I received. The next time I checked my mail I had one new message which appeared in the “unread first” section and all the messages under “Everything else” had disappeared. Is it possible there is a time limit on the length of time these read messages stay there and then are moved to “all mail”?

Brian

Brian Sheridan--
    Have you looked in Trash for those messages?
    Have you searched for the missing messages?

Perhaps an interesting reference
    https://productforums.google.com/for...il/vVvjuu11nx4

See bkc56 post of 4/29/2010
    Jim

Welshjim,

They are not in Trash unless I specifically delete them. After I read them in my inbox they go to a tab called "everything else" where they use to remain for a day for two. Now they disappear after a few minutes. I can always find them in "All mail" or after doing a search for "read mail". I am wondering why they now disappear so quickly from "everything else" without any action on my part. Is there a timer somewhere which has inadvertently changed without any action on my part?

Brian

Brian Sheridan--
    Did you read the post by bkc56 in the reference link I posted earlier?

"Gmail doesn't have folders. All your messages are saved in All Mail. Everything else (Inbox, Sent Mail, Starred, labels, etc) are just "views" into a sub-set of the messages in All Mail. And since there's only one copy of any message, if you delete it from any label, you're deleting the only copy, so it's gone from all of them. If you delete a label you remove that "view", but the messages are still in All Mail.

When you Archive a message, the only thing that does is remove the Inbox label from the message. The original message is still in All Mail along with all your other messages, and you can apply labels to them to make them easier to find later. Remember that Archive is an action, not a location.

See Settings->Labels for creating new labels and setting which ones are visible/hidden.

Labels actually provide a super-set of functionality compared to traditional folders. You can do everything you can with folders, and a number of things that folder do not support. The main difference is that there are not multiple copies of messages when multiple labels are applied so (as described above) deleting a message from one label deletes the only copy so it's deleted from all labels.

For more information see:
    Using labels: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...&answer=118708 "

Why the messages are disappearing now after only a few minutes, I cannot tell you. Did this start recently enough that a System Restore might help?

Also as mentioned in the bkc56 link, clicking the gear at the top right of the Gmail Inbox|then Settings|Labels tab gives you the opportunity to HIDE messages. I wonder if that could be involved.
    Last edited by Welshjim; September 21st, 2014 at 02:39 PM.
    Jim

Yes, I did read that thread. When I delete a message, it goes to trash and does not appear in all mail.

My original problem is now resolved and the messages are now back in "everything else" as you can see in the attached screen capture. The last message I received is now shown along with 11 others (which I did not snip in the capture)

Brian

Brian Sheridan-
    What was the fix?
    Jim

Welshjim,

I wish I could tell you. I tried so many things but unfortunately I don't know which one did the trick. All of a sudden the page started to look like it used to. I realize that isn't much help for others who may have the same problem, and if it happens again I will try to keep notes on what I tried.

Regards,

Brian

Thread Information