Varying download speeds when testing.

Thread: Varying download speeds when testing.

Varying download speeds when testing.

My wife has been complaining that her computer is very slow, saying that her iPad on the wireless is faster than her laptop connected to the cable modem/router by wire. So I took it in and had it upgraded from XP to Win7 (I know, I know) and checked for bugs. She says it is still slow, which it had not been before.

So I intend to investigate further and go to "speedtest.net" at http://www.speedtest.net/index.php and check her computer against mine, buth of which are on Cox Cable and a Belkin N600DB cable modem/router, buth connected by cable. One thing that confused me is the variation in speeds on my computer, as well has hers.

My computer: Phoenix, 31.31 down, 5.69 up; Irvine, 30.34 down, 5.63 up; Irvine, 13.58 down, 5.48 up; Ft. Worth 11.10 down, 4.37 up; Phoenix, 21.31 down, 6.43 up.

Her computer: Irvine, 3.44 down, 16.58 up (no, I didn't reverse those); Phoenix, 30.16 down, 6.46 up; Irvine, 17.22 down, failed up.

I simply have no idea what to make of that. Is it normal? Should I be talking to Cox? Do I have a router/cable modem issue?

I should say that when I use my computer on the Internet it seems satisfactory most of the time although some siites seem to delay at times. It's rare enough that I don't really pay attention.

Did you check for NIC driver updates? Did you try different ports on the router?

Did you check for router firmware updates? When was the last time you rebooted the router?

If you do testing at the same time of day, you would expect similar results from both computers. That 3.44 down on her laptop is odd. You could try connecting directly to the cable modem as a test. You'll have to reboot the modem when you switch from the router to a PC, and vice versa.

I'm assuming you have antivirus and antispyware apps running on both systems.

May even be a dirty connection on the cat5 or bad port on the router. Had both cause that to happen.

Did you check for NIC driver updates?
    No, and I'm open to being told how to do that. My computer is a desktop, and I hope I can do that without taking it apart. I'm taking the laptop in to have the dvd drive fixed and I'll have them check the NIC drivers.

Did you try different ports on the router?
    Yes, didn't change anything.

Did you check for router firmware updates?
    No, I'm doing that next and will advise. Turns out it's not a Belkin; I was looking at the (wrong) box. It's a Netgear CG3000D. I am embarrased, but if I knew what I was doing I wouldn't be here. I do know how to do that, and will.

When was the last time you rebooted the router?
    Right before the tests.

If you do testing at the same time of day, you would expect similar results from both computers. That 3.44 down on her laptop is odd. You could try connecting directly to the cable modem as a test. You'll have to reboot the modem when you switch from the router to a PC, and vice versa.
    Cannot connect directly to cable modem as the unit is cable modem/router built in together. Only connections are router ports.

I'm assuming you have antivirus and antispyware apps running on both systems.
    Yes. The laptop, which is the one that my wife is complaining about being slow, is a fresh installation of Win7 after a disk format.

cable modem/router built in together.
    If it is the ISP equipment, take it in and get a new one.They do go bad.

If it is the ISP equipment, take it in and get a new one.They do go bad.
    Good point. It's from Cox, but not rented. I bought it from them, but there was something about "if there's a problem it's our problem not yours" in their sales pitch. I'll call them and let you know how it turns out.

Meanwhile, my wife's complaint about speed may have been largely resolved when the computer tech at Staples pointed out that the computer only has 1 Gb RAM. She does a lot of shopping online, so many of the sites she visits are image intensive. I'm having him upgrade it to 4 Gb while he's dealing with the defective DVD drive, and she should be happier.

Netgear CG3000D
    That's a cable modem/router combo unit. What is the Belkin then?

For the NIC drivers on the laptop, you should check the manufacturer's site for drivers. If it came with XP, they might not have Win7 drivers.

the computer tech at Staples pointed out that the computer only has 1 Gb RAM
    Ya. That's pretty low for Win7.

Wikipedia: WiFi > Interference
    Interference

For more details on this topic, see Electromagnetic interference at 2.4 GHz.

Wi-Fi connections can be disrupted or the internet speed lowered by having other devices in the same area. Many 2.4 GHz 802.11b and 802.11g access-points default to the same channel on initial startup, contributing to congestion on certain channels. Wi-Fi pollution, or an excessive number of access points in the area, especially on the neighboring channel, can prevent access and interfere with other devices' use of other access points, caused by overlapping channels in the 802.11g/b spectrum, as well as with decreased signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) between access points. This can become a problem in high-density areas, such as large apartment complexes or office buildings with many Wi-Fi access points.

Additionally, other devices use the 2.4 GHz band: microwave ovens, ISM band devices, security cameras, ZigBee devices, Bluetooth devices, video senders, cordless phones, baby monitors, and (in some countries) Amateur radio all of which can cause significant additional interference. It is also an issue when municipalities[45] or other large entities (such as universities) seek to provide large area coverage.

Thread Information