[RESOLVED] Need a Rerun Regarding Firefox Add-ons

Thread: [RESOLVED] Need a Rerun Regarding Firefox Add-ons

Resolved [RESOLVED] Need a Rerun Regarding Firefox Add-ons

A short time back Some well deserved thread regarding needed Ad-ons in order to keep Firefox in check. They were post by Midnyte (I believe). Anyway, I recently installed those ad-ons to a Firefox installation.
    However, I had to upgrade to their current version in order to do so. But they don't seem all that great.
    For example: I log on to HomeDepot & search for an item. When the item comes into view, along comes a popup that blocks half of what I am trying to view. I can only get rid of it by closing out the page.
    What else do I need to do to prevent this from happening?? Thanks .........
    Where there's a will, there's a way

Ad block plus is the only one I use and it works fine on home depot for me.

I'm using Ad Block Plus also, but it sure not working for me. Worked fine till I went with Firefox 32.01....

I notice that the biggest culprit is "Overstock.com" listing hot deals. Any way of banning it ?

Could be that the latest Adblock definitions haven't caught up with that yet. Try updating it manually and see if that makes a difference. If it's a Flash or Java created popup you may also be able to click the tiny "block" tab that would be visible at the top of the popup to manually enter a block rule into the definition database.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Are you sure the filter definitions are updated?
    Did you uncheck "Allow some non-intrusive advertising"?
    If you want to block everything from Overstock.com, you can create a custom filter in ABP.
    https://adblockplus.org/en/filters

What are you using besides ABP?

I guess I just don't savvy this stuff anymore. Trying to keep up with this stuff is becoming more overwhelming by the year.
    Midknyte, I seem to be in the dark about the "filter definitions" and aLso about unchecking the "non-intrusive ads" ??

I thank you guys for taking the time out to offer assistance. I will try to see if I can figure it all out. Sometimes, I find it easier to just reformat & start over.........................

Do you have the ABP button in your toolbar? If so, click the button and click Filter Preferences.
    Under the Filter Subscriptions tab, you'll see your subscriptions (probably EasyList). Verify the last download date and time.
    Near the bottom of that window, there is a checkbox for "Allow some non-intrusive advertising". Uncheck it.

You didn't say if you installed any other add-ons.

THANK YOU !! Midknyte; That was very easy to do & all went well.. I really appreciate that ! As for the other 3 ad-ons, they are:
    orgen-USfir...browsing-tool
    orgen-USfir...ondisconnect
    .eff.orghttps-everywhere
    What I listed here is not the exact URLs, but I got the correct URL's from a previous thread where you had mentioned them as being a must.. They are installed & I have to assume that they are doing what they are supposed to do.. Once again . Thanks Much !!!........................

Next time, post the link to the thread you are talking about. I'm guessing you mean this one:
    http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...N-8-TO-WIN-8-1

If you right-click on a link and click "copy link location", that will copy the url. You copied the shortened text.

HTTPS Everywhere will just direct you to the HTTPS version of a site, if available. HTTPS is definitely preferred.
    Disconnect will block a lot of things like social media ad links. If you have problems with a site, you can try disabling it.
    WOT will tell you the reputation rating of a site to determine if it's safe or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    Next time, post the post the link to the thread you are talking about. I'm guessing you mean this one:
    http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...N-8-TO-WIN-8-1

If you right-click on a link and click "copy link location", that will copy the url. You copied the shortened text.

HTTPS Everywhere will just direct you to the HTTPS version of a site, if available. HTTPS is definitely preferred.
    Disconnect will block a lot of things like social media ad links. If you have problems with a site, you can try disabling it.
    WOT will tell you the reputation rating of a site to determine if it's safe or not.
    GOTCHA... BTW, I DID copy the whole link at that time . Actually I dragged & dropped it onto my desktop. What I had typed in my previous post was just a short hand version copy of same. just enough to answer your query in that post...Have a great day ....................

Thread Information