Windows Vista problems

Thread: Windows Vista problems

Unhappy Windows Vista problems

Hi Docs. I have recently been having problems with my Gateway laptop with Windows Vista installed. I have been getting seven updates from Windows Update and the IE 9 security update will not download. It appears the other six keep downloading (so I probably have several of the same updates on my system.) I cannot understand Microsoft-ese when I try to find an answer to this problem. By the way, I primarily use Firefox as my primary browser, but I also use Google Chrome from time to time.

The other thing I am noticing now is that I am getting non-responsive page error messages from all three browsers I think. And when I start Firefox it takes forever for it to load. I don't know if these problems are related; the laptop seemed to be running fine until maybe a previous update was made(?)

I am running a Gateway M7351U laptop with a Pentium Dual Core CPU T4200@2.00Ghz 2.00GHz
    Memory (RAM) 4.00GB
    System type 64-bit OS
    Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
    Steve

Use Windows System Restore to roll back Windows to a point in time when your computer was functioning correctly. It allows you to undo system changes without affecting your personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos. Then, try downloading and installing the Windows updates one at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    Use Windows System Restore to roll back Windows to a point in time when your computer was functioning correctly. It allows you to undo system changes without affecting your personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos. Then, try downloading and installing the Windows updates one at a time.
    I did think of that and after waiting forever for System Restore to run, and all startup programs to launch I got a message that there was an error when System Restore ran and I'm back to where I started! By the way, I went back to the oldest restore point (August 20) I could. Just about all the restore points within that search were the windows updates I mentioned.
    Steve

There seems to be just one update not taking and that is an IE9 security update. All the others take except that one. I believe I have tried that one by itself but to no avail.
    Steve

This is the description of the failed update if it helps.

Windows Internet Explorer 9 for Windows Vista for x64-based systems

Installation date: ‎9/‎14/‎2014 9:04 AM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 9C48

Update type: Important

Windows Internet Explorer 9 delivers web sites and applications that look and perform like native PC applications through the power of Windows.

Fast: Internet Explorer 9 is all-around fast. Designed to take full advantage of your PC’s hardware through Windows, Internet Explorer 9 delivers graphically rich and immersive experiences that are as fast and responsive as native applications installed on your PC.

Clean: Internet Explorer puts the focus on the Web sites you love with a clean look and increased viewing area that makes your Web sites shine. Intuitive and seamless integration with Windows Vista provides one-click access to Web applications pinned directly to your Taskbar.

Trusted: Internet Explorer is the trusted way to the Web because it has a robust set of built-in security, privacy and reliability technologies that keep you safer and your browsing experience uninterrupted.

Interoperable: Support for HTML5 and modern Web standards architected to take advantage of the GPU means that the same mark-up not only works across the Web, but runs faster and delivers a richer experience through Windows and Internet Explorer 9.

More information:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=71727

Help and Support:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=71719
    Steve

Thread Information