Toshiba laptop problem

Thread: Toshiba laptop problem

Toshiba laptop problem

This laptop apparently picked up a virus. After many tries to use the reset procedure I gave up because it could never find the necessary recovery files (I assume in the hidden partition). I ended up using an option to delete everything hoping to get another copy of Windows 8 and start over. This is one of those laptops where no CD/DVD was provided. When I turn on the PC it now says no bootable device found.

I assume I will have to format (re-format) the hard drive before starting over. My question is this. How do I go about formatting the hard drive? Where do I get a cd/dvd to do this? Or maybe a USB stick?

Thanks,
    Rocky
    Rocky

What is the exact model number?

I ended up using an option to delete everything hoping to get another copy of Windows 8 and start over.
    What did you do exactly? Did you use a bootdisk to wipe out the drive? If so, you might have wiped out the recovery partition as well. If that's the case, you would need to contact Toshiba for a recovery disc set.

This is one of those laptops where no CD/DVD was provided.
    You're supposed to burn your own recovery disc set. This is standard practice nowadays. HP, Sony, etc all do it like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    What is the exact model number?

What did you do exactly? Did you use a bootdisk to wipe out the drive? If so, you might have wiped out the recovery partition as well. If that's the case, you would need to contact Toshiba for a recovery disc set.

You're supposed to burn your own recovery disc set. This is standard practice nowadays. HP, Sony, etc all do it like that.
    Model is C 855 - S 5115

I used an option on the laptop to delete all data and files. I probably did wipe out the partition, that's why I want to re-format and install another copy of Windows.
    Rocky

Did you download the user guide?
    http://support.toshiba.com/support/m...eeText=3621616
    Click Manuals & Specs, then download User's Guide for Satellite C800/L800/S800 Series - Windows 8

There is also info about how to create the recovery media in the guide. A little late now, but good for future reference.

I used an option on the laptop to delete all data and files.
    What was the exact procedure that you used? Did you do the "Reset your PC" procedures starting on pg 60 of the manual?

Other than that, you'll need to contact Toshiba and order a recovery set.

Reset didn't work because it reported missing or corrupted files.
    Rocky

You can try this:
    https://support.toshiba.com/support/...tentId=2737864

If that doesn't work, then order the recovery media. You'll need your laptop serial number.
    https://support.toshiba.com/repair

Ok, thanks.
    Rocky

Thread Information