Complete Build for Under $500?

Thread: Complete Build for Under $500?

Complete Build for Under $500?

I need to replace an old Dell SX270, I can't upgrade it from Windows XP and I'm running into more and more issue as software and some of my kids school sites and games don't function correctly anymore with XP. I could probably find a work around but I think a new build is due. This will be used mostly by my kids (still in grade school).
    So, what is the best possible complete build for under $500 (possibly up to $750)?
    The smaller the tower the better.
    Thoughts?
    ASUS Prime Z690-P D4 Motherboard
    intel i5 12th gen processor
    bequiet! Pure Rock 2 CPU Cooler
    Inland Performance M.2 2280 1TB SSD
    Samsung SSD 870 EVO 4TB
    16GB DDR4 x 4
    Pioneer Blu-ray burner
    Windows 10 Pro

Dell Refurbished 745 Desktop PC: got 6 happy customers with them.

http://www.walmart.com/browse/comput...+1115.2956-L20

Following your link; I found a refurbished computer from Walmart. But, before I bought it, I went around to my local computer builders/refurbishers and they could not beat of match it. I also found a nice refurbed 23" HD monitor to go with it for $100. Also, Walmart had free shipping on items over $50. So, with tax I'm just over $400. If you're interested, here is the link to the Desktop I picked. http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Refurbi...8.1-M/37821506
    I'm feeling pretty good about it. So thanks for pointing me to it. I had no idea Walmart sold refurbished items.
    I will definitely post a heads up if it turns out to be junk, and I'll try to remember to leave positive feedback if it's all good.
    Thanks again!
    Samsung SSD 870 EVO 4TB
    16GB DDR4 x 4
    Pioneer Blu-ray burner
    Windows 10 Pro

That should do the trick nicely.
    We have recycle centers here in our area. How i got this old 2002 Compaq nc6120. But it is running Linux not windows.

Depending upon the quality of the desired parts it's fairly easy to do a sub-$500 build. Tom's Hardware has build guides for various price ranges. A few years ago they did a $500 PC build that destroyed a $5000 Mac Pro in benchmarks and most real-world applications.
    i7 5930K @4.6ghz, Asus X99 Deluxe, 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 2400, XFX R9 290X, Samsung 850 Pro 256gb, 4 Seagate 7200 rpm 2tb, Seasonic X1250, Corsair H105, Asus Xonar Essence STX, LiteOn iHBS212, Plextor 890SA, Corsair 500R, Win 10 Enterprise 64.

Update: The computer came and is working great, although I am unfamiliar with Windows 8 and so far am not a fan. Maybe after I get around this learning curve? The monitor show up broken. The shipping box did not have any sign of damage but the screen was spider-webbed all the way across. I mention that because Walmart allows you to return online purchases to your local store. I did not know that before and it was a relatively simple process.
    No buyer's remorse here!
    Thanks again for pointing me to Wally World's Refurb section.
    Samsung SSD 870 EVO 4TB
    16GB DDR4 x 4
    Pioneer Blu-ray burner
    Windows 10 Pro

Double checked you link and sure enough, it did list Win 8.1, while my link was Win 7.

Surprised me.
    Enjoy!!

Quote Originally Posted by balootex View Post
    ...although I am unfamiliar with Windows 8 and so far am not a fan...
    I found Win 8 to be surprisingly better than expected after reading so many people bashing it. Found it to be snappier than Win 7 (though I like Win 7) and the graphics are more readable. My suggestions (if you haven't already) would be to:

- Update (through the Store) to the latest version
    - Watch YouTube videos and read up on tricks, tips, keyboard shortcuts, etc.
    - Install Classic Shell
    - If you don't like the Start Screen, just set the option to go straight to Desktop. This plus Classic Shell makes it work almost the same as Win 7.
    My equipment:

Acer Aspire AX3300-U1322 Desktop (sorry didn't build this time!), 4Gb RAM, AMD Athlon II quad core CPU

I am already starting to warm up to Windows 8. My kids were able to find their way around it surprisingly quick.
    Samsung SSD 870 EVO 4TB
    16GB DDR4 x 4
    Pioneer Blu-ray burner
    Windows 10 Pro

Touching big pretty buttons to get what you want comes quite naturally to kids and monkeys.

There are lots of useful tips here on Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/

I have it on an ASUS tablet and while I can't say I love it I am getting used to it. I can't see ever running it on a desktop though.

I would strongly suggest using a good third party backup/imaging program along side Windows own backup which is somewhat limited esp compared to Windows 7 full imaging capability. I'm using Macrium Reflect free version.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thread Information