[RESOLVED] Dead Mouse button

Thread: [RESOLVED] Dead Mouse button

Resolved [RESOLVED] Dead Mouse button

Hi there,

Have a MS Trackball Optical Mouse. Until now, it has been working as it says on the box. But just today, the left button does not work. The cursor moves around just fine, I can right click to pull up whatever menu, but then one must left click, that is done zilch.

Any ideas how to cure my sick mouse?

Thanks

Rex
    What if the Hokey Cokey IS what it's all about?

When I say the left button is not working, it is actually clicking; I can feel the micro-switch doing what it says on the box. It's just that zilch is happening on screen.

I have dissected the mouse with a sterile blade and there is nothing noticeably wrong.

Any ideas,

Thanks

Rex

It's probably the microswitch in the mouse that has gone. The left click button, by far, gets the most work and is usually the first to go. Usually the easiest and fastest option, unless you're prepared to take the mouse apart, remove the switch and solder in a new one is to just get a whole new mouse.

You should still test the mouse on another computer just for the possibility it's a driver issue and test another mouse on this computer too. Also worth a try if you're up for it is to take the mouse apart and spray some decent switch lubricant/cleaner into the switch. Problem with that is you'll need to buy the cleaner and the good stuff worth using isn't too cheap... also it's a low probability fix so it could also easily be a waste of money. If you know someone who does electronic work you could take the mouse to them for a quick spritz of cleaner on the cheap. And once you reach a point where contacts/switches need cleaning then they often start to need repeated cleaning and it's a never ending task.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Rex A. Butcher--
    Did the mouse come with a installation CD? If yes, uninstall and reinstall.

If not you may be able to get drivers here.
    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en...ckball-optical

Or you may still be in warranty. Warranty info also available on that page.

And you could try this FixIt, though I have no idea what it might do so a backup first might be a good idea.
    http://support.microsoft.com/mats/ha...evice_problems
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Many thanks for the various suggestions. A drop of WD40 on the switch and plenty of switch action has temporarily cured it. Will look into get a new microswitch since it is only three prongs for soldering.

Rex

Thread Information