[RESOLVED] Default Gateway not available

Thread: [RESOLVED] Default Gateway not available

Resolved [RESOLVED] Default Gateway not available

I have a wireless home network using a Bell wireless modem with the following components:

Gateway Desktop with Windows 7 OS, Service Pack 1

iMac desktop with OS X 10.6.8

Acer Aspire V5 Laptop with Windows 7 OS, Service Pack 1

For some reason my desktop PC disconnects overnight and I have to use the troubleshooter to bring it back on every morning. This has just happened all of sudden for about the last week. It appears to be a band aid type fix and does not affect my laptop or iMac on the network. See screen capture attached.

How can I fix this permanently? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

Try using Windows' System Restore to roll back Windows to a point in time when your computer was functioning correctly. It allows you to undo system changes without affecting your personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos.

For some reason my desktop PC disconnects overnight and I have to use the troubleshooter to bring it back on every morning.
    In Device Manager, expand Network Adapters, right-click the adapter, click Properties, click the Power Management tab, and then UNCHECK the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box.

I'm hesitant to use System Restore as I like to keep that as a last resort. I did try unchecking the "allow computer to turn off this device" but unfortunately that didn't help!

Thanks to both of you for your help.

Brian

Check to make sure that your Power Management setting for the network adapters is still set to never turn them off. What happens if you ping the IP address of the gateway when you get this error? Post the results of an 'ipconfig /all' command ('ipconfig /all > ipconfig.txt' will send the results to a text file).

Have you installed any new software or updates recently? Have you scanned for malware?

If the System Restore point doesn't work, it can simply be undone. We're not talking a factory restore here ... that destroys everything. A Windows System Restore is a simple, ~2 minute procedure that does NOT affect any of your personal files. Select a restore point, the computer reboots, now test. Didn't work? Pick another, (even the one you made today before restoring yesterdays restore point, or the day before, or from a month ago), then reboot and test.

If that doesn't resolve the problem, then try restoring one of your earlier system images or backup.

If you don't have one of those, then you could attempt a no-reformat, non-destructive Windows repair.

If that also fails though, THEN as a last resort, you would backup all of your stuff and do a factory restore ... which returns the software on your computer back to the exact state it was in when you bought the computer.

I seldom turn any of my computers off. I have just noticed however that if I shut down my laptop or close the lid and let it sleep overnight that my desktop does not disconnect nor do I have a problem with the wireless adapter or default gateway.

Is it possible that there is a conflict caused by the laptop on my network?

Brian

Probably not. If you're able to use the Desktop during the day, I don't see why the laptop would suddenly be a problem at night.

Did you try updating the wifi drivers on your Desktop?

I should have mentioned that the Desktop does at times disconnect during the day as well. My device manager shows 3 network adapters. Are all 3 being used?

Brian

I should have mentioned that the Desktop does at times disconnect during the day as well.
    Yes. That makes a difference. It could be interference with the laptop, if the laptop is in the Desktop's path to the router.

If you are using wireless, then it would be the Realtek. For a wired connection, it would be the Intel.
    Did you uncheck the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" on the Realtek or Intel?

Did you scan your area to see which channels are being used? You want to choose the least used channel, and set that in your router.
    Run WifiInfoView.
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html

I am using wireless and have updated the Realktek driver. I have also unchecked the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" on the Realtek as well as the Intel. I will wait to see if this works before changing anything on the router (which I am hesitant to do).

Thanks for these suggestions and I will advise the result of these changes.

Brian

Default Gateway not available

Midknyte,

I am happy to report that your suggestion to update the Realtek Network adapter did the trick. I have not had any disconnects now for three days in a row.

Many thanks for all your help,

Brian

Thread Information