Recovery Management on new computers...

Thread: Recovery Management on new computers...

Recovery Management on new computers...

In general, when you get a Windows 8 or 8.1 computer, I'm understanding you need to make recovery disks. There are two choices. Choice one is to create factory default backup and requires a 16gb usb drive. Choice two is backup of only drivers and applications and can be put on a dvd drive. Do I NEED to make the 16gb usb drive? Or is that recovery option on my computer? In the past, I've seen some computers with a separate drive (such as C and D) with that put on it. This new computer does not have a separate drive. My goal is to have the right stuff in case I have to do a format and restore. I sure liked it better when the computers came with all the disks you would need to do that! I don't really want to have to get a 16gb usb for every new computer I get, but I certainly will if that's what I need. Thanks!

My choice with my 8.1 tablet was to make the full backup onto a more reliable USB external hard drive and also install Macrium Reflex free version to make additional full disk images. Can't have too many backups. FWIW I also made a second tier backup to a thumb drive.

Also, it came with a factory default image on a small partition on the drive so if I had to I could return it to that state but it would be a really really last resort since it's 8.0 and it took a couple days worth of updating/tweaking to get 8.1 running. Have a look in disk management and see if there's a 20-30ish gig partition on the hard drive. If there is then that's very likely where the factory restore is. You should also check in the owners manual or on the computer manuf website.
    Don't believe everything you think.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

You should also have the option to create factory restore DVDs or ISOs. I've done that for the last couple of Dell laptops I've worked on.

I use Acronis True Image, but it's the same basic concept as fink. I also make backups of my backup images to separate USB hard drives. Like he said, you can't have too many backups.

Yes! There's a 15.x gb called Healthy (recovery partition). I didn't know to look there. This computer came with win 8.1, so I could return to factory using that and not have to have the huge update. But, if my hard drive failed totally, then I would have a problem, correct? I would just prefer to use dvds for the backup because I get those really cheap at garage sales. Unless I'm doing something wrong, I CANNOT put the factory default backup on dvds--just the 16gb usb. It doesn't give me the choice. I set up my computers and also that of my friends and family. I don't have the 16gb jumpdrive available. (I will start asking for them to bring me one, though.)

Is it Macrium Reflect (not Reflex)? I may try that as long as it's free. Also, is the Acronis True Image free? As you can see I'm very thrifty! Especially since I'm helping out friends and family for free.

An another question: Is it too late to use one of those backup programs if I've been using my computer for a year or so?

Thanks for the responses!!

But, if my hard drive failed totally, then I would have a problem, correct?
    Yes. That's why you need to make the recovery DVDs or USB drive.

You didn't say the make/model of the computer. Some laptops don't come with a DVDRW drive built-in, so you wouldn't see a DVD option unless you plugged in a USB DVDRW drive.

I don't have the 16gb jumpdrive available. (I will start asking for them to bring me one, though.)
    Once you create the recovery drive, you shouldn't mess with it. If anything, they should buy a drive specifically for the recovery image. A USB 3.0 drive would be preferred.

Acronis TrueImage isn't free, but there are free versions depending on the brand of hard drive. Seagate and WD's backup software are actualy Acronis TI at the core.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
    Acronis True Image WD Edition Software
    Seagate DiscWizard

Macrium Reflect (not Reflex)?
    Yeah.. sorry, typo

Is it too late to use one of those backup programs if I've been using my computer for a year or so?
    No, absolutely not too late. If your computer is currently in a working state then backing it up now will give you the ability to return to it. Macrium (and most other imaging/backup programs like TrueImage which I use on my desktop) will give you the option to back up all the partitions on the hard drive which means it also will back up the original factory image so you can always go back to it if need be.
    Don't believe everything you think.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thread Information