Reinstalling Canon printer after upgrade

Thread: Reinstalling Canon printer after upgrade

Reinstalling Canon printer after upgrade

I just had my wife's computer upgraded from Win XP to Win7 and am attempting to reinstall a Canon ip4200 printer. The CD installation fails because the popup tells me there is an incompatibility issue, and when I download the driver from the Canon site and attempt to run it per the Canon instructions I am told that it is not a valid executible program.

Also, the shop that upgraded it merely left the backup as a file named "backup" in the desktop. Is there any way to extract things like email mailboxes, IE "favorites" and the like from that backup and restore then to the Win 7 installation?

My wife is going to kill me that she has to start over installing all of her programs and stuff, but I at least need to be able to get the printer working.

Is it Win7 32 or 64 bit? Are you sure you downloaded the correct drivers for your version of Win7?
    http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppor...ersAndSoftware

Also, the shop that upgraded it merely left the backup as a file named "backup" in the desktop. Is there any way to extract things like email mailboxes, IE "favorites" and the like from that backup and restore then to the Win 7 installation?
    You would need to ask them what they used to create the "backup" file. Did you check the file type?

It's Win7 32, I believe, because on my comouter it shows Win7 64 detected and on my wife's it just shows Win7 detected. I downloaded the "Setup Utility Ver 2.01" and ran it successfully, and it says the setup utility is now installed on my wife's computer. Good for it, but I can't see it anywhere. It does not show on the menu or desktop, and the printer is not installed. I assume one is supposed to run the setup utility after installing it, but...

The file on the desktop is named "Backup" and when I doubleclick on it File Explorer opens up showing the contents of the file. It appears as a duplicate of the file structure that exists in Win7, but the system seems to have a hard time telling them apart. When I deleted a folder from the "Computer" section, or at least that's what I thought I was doing, it deleted the folder from "Backup" instead. When I went into the Recicle and clicked on "Restore" it put that folder into "Computer" rather than into "Backup," which is where it had disappeared from after the deletion. At that point I kind of quit trying to transfer files because it seemed to me something wierd was going on that I don't understand.

Maybe it was just my confusion as to which section of Explorer I was in, but restoring from that backup, even things like photos and documents, is proving to be a rather seriously daunting task.

If you go to Control Panel - System, it says "System type" as either 32 or 64 bit Operating System.

I downloaded the "Setup Utility Ver 2.01" and ran it successfully, and it says the setup utility is now installed on my wife's computer.
    Did you also download the drivers? You need those as well. The download link is on the same page as the Setup Utility. Make sure to install the drivers BEFORE plugging in the printer.
    iP4200 Printer Driver Ver. 2.00 (Windows 7/Vista/XP/2000)

The file on the desktop is named "Backup" and when I doubleclick on it File Explorer opens up showing the contents of the file.
    Look at the file properties (right-click - properties). It sounds like it's a zip file. You should extract the zip file to a folder first.

Whoops, it seems it not only installed the utility, it installed the printer too. That solves that problem.

The file type for "Backup" is "File Folder." So it's just a process, I guess, of moving the contents from "Backup" to "Computer." I did get the "Favorites" folder moved appropriately, which got the favorites restored to her Internet Explorer (which she still uses for some reason). But with the two file structures being rather large and essentially identical, that is not an easy process.

The first thing I had to do was let the system install and configure 78 updates, so I am not overwhelmingly impressed with this computer shop.

Anyway, thanks for the helpful input. You guys are the best. I tackle things I would not otherwise undertake because I know you are here to help me through the rough spots.

the shop that upgraded it merely left the backup as a file named "backup" in the desktop.
    Ok, so "Backup" is a folder, not a file.

Yeah, well I told you I don't know what I'm doing.

Thread Information