Green 'indexing' bar in Windows Explorer

Thread: Green 'indexing' bar in Windows Explorer

Green 'indexing' bar in Windows Explorer

Okay this is driving me NUTS!!!! When I open Windows Explorer like to look thru folders and choose a photo, across the top I get this SLOW moving green bar. It slows everything down and keeps the pictures from loading so I can't find what I'm looking for. The only way I've found to fix is to reboot my computer, then I don't get the green line, all the pictures in the folder load right up and I'm good to go - ONCE. Next time I'm right back to that stupid green bar crap again! PLEASE, can anyone tell me how to get rid of it once and for all???

I've looked for solutions online and have tried any suggestions I've found, like setting the optimization to general and turning off indexing wherever I could find the option to do so. What else can I do??

Thanks so much!
    ~ Rosetta ~
    May God bless all our valiant troops
    Wherever they may roam
    And bless us too, their families,
    Waiting anxiously at home...

What program are you using to view photos?

That green bar doesn't sound like Windows built in indexing, it does sound like the photo viewer's own indexing building a database for the photos in that folder.

I use FastStone image viewer and get a similar bar as it builds an index of picture thumbnails when I open a photo. The more photos in a folder the longer it takes although never usually more than 4-5 seconds even with a couple hundred photos in a folder and once the index is built it doesn't need to be redone for that session unless I delete the database manually.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

It sounds like WIndows is recreating the thumbnails each time you open the folder. If you have lots of pictures, this can take a long time. The links below might be useful.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows...umbnail-cache/

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...resh+each+time

Also, you can turn off Windows thumbnails in Control Panel> folder options> view and check "always show icons, never thumbnails".

First of all, THANK YOU!!!!
    I use Irfanview to view/edit my pix, I already had the folder options set to show thumbnails, and I changed permissions to 'deny' as directed here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...w7itprogeneral. Thing is, I didn't even realize this was caused by the thumbnails being deleted. So I got to thinking.. Maybe it wasn't the last Windows update that was doing this all of a sudden, but an update to CCleaner - which I run every time I close my browser. So I checked it and yep, it had a check next to the option to empty the Thumbnail Cache. I unchecked that, ran the cleaner and rebooted. Right now it looks like the problem is SOLVED!! WooHoo!!!
    Of course, it could be just because I rebooted.. lol But I'll be back to let you know if it starts acting up again.
    Thank you all so very much!
    I always know when I have any puter glitch I can count on you folks to come thru with a FIX for me!
    Love Y'all!!
    ~Rosetta~
    Wherever they may roam

Okay, that wasn't the problem after all because it's doing it again..
    Can anyone give me some suggestions?
    Thanks!
    Wherever they may roam

I don't use Irfanview but have a look in it's settings and see if there's a way to either limit the size of the thumbnail cache or to store it permanently in case it's set to delete it after every session.

And/or try using another program to view pics and see if the behavior stops. Maybe just Windows own picture viewer or FastStone image viewer (free version) http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

Try the above suggestion too..

Also, you can turn off Windows thumbnails in Control Panel> folder options> view and check "always show icons, never thumbnails".

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    This also happens on my Windows 7 Pro. It does it when I'm moving photos from my SDHC card to the harddrive. All I do is click on the red x next to the end of address bar and that stops it. I usually have to stop it several times before it finally goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by photolady View Post
    This also happens on my Windows 7 Pro. It does it when I'm moving photos from my SDHC card to the harddrive. All I do is click on the red x next to the end of address bar and that stops it. I usually have to stop it several times before it finally goes away.
    I do that with my USB hdds. Several versions of Win 7 on laptops an desktops.

rosetta--
    Perhaps I am showing ignorance, but when I get that bar (very seldomly, thank goodness) it seems to be because the window has not fully loaded. I just have to wait. This is any window, not just with photos. But as I say, it happens only very seldomly.

Is this happening only with folders containing photos? How long does it take for the bar to complete its journey? Does the size of the contents of the window seem to have anything to do with the presence of the bar? Perhaps the reason the contents of the bar display immediately the second time around is that the window's content is partly stored in the cache and so the loading is not so much.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

The slow progress bar in Windows Explorer can happen if the folder's "Optimize this folder" setting is set to either "Pictures" or "Videos". When it is, Windows Explorer will start scanning that folder -and- all of its subfolders in order to pre-render thumbnail images for all of the image and video files.

If you set the "Optimize this folder" to either "Documents" or "General Items" instead, the thumbnails will not be rendered until you actually click on the folder or sub-folder that contains images or videos.

To change this setting, in Windows Explorer, right-click on the folder containing the images and/or videos and select "Properties". Click the "Customize" tab. Change the option in the "Optimize this folder for:" pulldown to either "Documents" or "General Items". Select the "Also apply this template to all subfolders" checkbox, then click "Apply" > "OK".

Thread Information