What hardware do I need? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What hardware do I need?

I would still use the router. The router would provide NAT. That's another layer of protection.
    https://www.grc.com/nat/nat.htm

I have the Windows firewall up and running. Is that not enough?
    What Windows firewall settings are you using? If you directly connected to the modem, you should use the "Public" setting, even though you are at home.
    http://www.askthecomputertech.com/wi...-firewall.html
    The public network option is highly recommended anytime you connect to an unknown network, if you are connected directly to the Internet without using a router, or if you have a mobile broadband connection.
    Aren't I more likely to be attacked by someone stealing passwords from a business rather than being stolen from my computer?
    Not necessarily. There are man in the middle attacks that can capture data while you are transmitting it. That's why you want to use SSL (HTTPS) for your secure transactions.

Thanks Midknyte
    I have been reading both articles.
    This looks very complicated, but as I was told earlier, it really isn't.
    But you have convinced me in your last sentence about the SSL HTTPS -whatever that means. So many Anagrams or whatever the term is for using just the first letter instead of the words. ]

So I'll keep it,
    Dave
    *** Help others less fortunate.

JESUS IS LORD !

So it was easier than I thought. I wired everything up, turned everything on and I had a network. Windows 7 immediately asked me what type of network it was going to be. I had choice between Home, Work, or Public. I chose Work Network.
    Sharing is set on both computers. I went through the configuration process in the installation instructions, but Windows had done it all already and I had to change nothing.

I can get to the internet from both computers, but I have a problem

I can see both computers in Windows Explorer, but when I try to click on the other computer I am being asked for a Network Username and password. There are no username or passwords on either system.
    Where did this come from?
    network.jpg

Thanks Dave

JESUS IS LORD !

Well here I am posting from my laptop in the kitchen which is now newly networked with my desktop in my office.

I already solved the problem above and I can now see the contents on both computers. I discovered that going to the sharing dialogue box, there was more than what showed and if I just scrolled down there was the option to turn off password access sharing what a dummy!

Also I had to right click on each hard drive and share it. Now to get the printer going on the laptop. But I feel I will figure it out.
    Thanks again to you Train and Midknyte
    I've been coming around here for a while, not as much as I used to, but you 2 are some of the backbones of this forum.
    God Bless you both
    Dave

JESUS IS LORD !

Glad I was able to help!

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...dows-7-and-xp/

I know it says between 7 and xp, but the steps are basically the same for sharing printers.

Thread Information