maybe hardware related? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: maybe hardware related?

That doesn't sound like malware to me. Possible tests include testing the monitor on another computer, and connecting a different monitor on the computer. It still sounds like either overheating of the video adapter, or possibly a memory problem.

Quote Originally Posted by stewart borland View Post
    Yes, all OK.
    Well apart from crashing again that is. I'll open it up tomorrow and clean out the video card (forgot that suggestion sorry!)

See attached.

opened case and removed dust

I was truly amazed at how much was in there... I think you may have found the problem, although if not I will be back

I'll open it up tomorrow and clean out the video card (forgot that suggestion sorry!)
    Huh? I thought you said you dusted in post#7.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    Huh? I thought you said you dusted in post#7.
    In the past I've just hoovered all the vents from the outside and this time other signs kind of diverted me but after opening it up and really cleaning it (including the graphics card) I thought all was well but it restarted windows again.
    I checked in the device manager and the video card had a ! on a yellow triangle.
    When I looked in properties it said windows had switched it off because of problems.
    The little white arrow flagged the issue but said it couldn't download the solution because it wasn't connected to the internet but I was online at the moment.
    I went back in and rolled back the driver again and so far all seems OK, but I've said that before

In the past I've just hoovered all the vents from the outside
    You shouldn't be using a vacuum near your computer. That can create static, which can damage components. You should use compressed air. You need to open your case, remove the video card, and then blow out the heatsink/fan with compressed air.

Canned air is prefered. Vacuum cleaners generate static electricity that has been know to destroy all but the case.

Bad capacitors are the usual culprit for the artifacting shown in those screen shots. I've had a handful of XFX 8600 and 8800 cards I had to replace bad caps on. Remove the card, look for bulging or the tops popped open on the capacitors. XFX was notorious for using cheap components when they made those cards and numerous threads can be found on Google about them. Replacing bad caps is easy and very inexpensive if you know how to solder and have a solder station (not an iron) capable of properly melting the wave-soldered traces on the card.
    i7 5930K @4.6ghz, Asus X99 Deluxe, 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 2400, XFX R9 290X, Samsung 850 Pro 256gb, 4 Seagate 7200 rpm 2tb, Seasonic X1250, Corsair H105, Asus Xonar Essence STX, LiteOn iHBS212, Plextor 890SA, Corsair 500R, Win 10 Enterprise 64.

Thread Information