[RESOLVED] Malware Vulnarability

Thread: [RESOLVED] Malware Vulnarability

Resolved [RESOLVED] Malware Vulnarability

With an internet cable connected and never opening a browser during a Windows session, is it possible to get infected? The Windows session is running Win XP PRO/SP3 Network Edition. (I'm actually running OS X Mavericks on my iMac and VMware Fusion to create a virtual Windows machine and run Photoshop CS2 on my mac.)
    Hope this is clear. Any thoughts on the subject will be appreciated. Thanks for looking.

It is absolutely possible. Network worms have been around for ages and can pass from one infected computer to another on the same network, both local and internet. They aren't as common as they used to be but are still a threat to unprotected computers and that means by a fully security patched/updated OS, an up to date firewall (hardware and software) and antivirus program.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_worm

At one point experiments with then current Windows XP showed that an unprotected computer left sitting online for less than 30 seconds got infected with an internet based network worm.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Fink, thanks for the reply. Just want to be sure you totally understand me...
    On my Mac machine I intend to only run Photoshop, never anything else. My VMWare Fusion settings are not allowing me to get on the internet. (I access the internet with my Windows machine & they are not connected in any way.) Never will I access the internet or email on the virtual Windows session. Is it still possible to get infected? Please excuse the repeated statement, but if safe, I would love to avoid a Av program. Thanks for indulging me.

If it's a non-networked VM installation then you would not be susceptible to a network worm. In that case the only obvious method of infection is opening an infected file on the virtual computer and if you aren't doing that then getting infected would be next to impossible. I would still make a snapshot of a clean OS anyway to have as a safety net.

My only use for the virtual computer is for image editing with Photoshop CS2. Can you point me to a link that explains how to make and utilize a snapshot of a clean OS? Many thanks for the info.

http://pubs.vmware.com/fusion-5/inde...3AE6E93CF.html

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mic...rnalId=1025279

I edited my previous post re: backup to safety net since VMware does not actually suggest using snapshots as a long term backup.. only a temp backup until you're sure that the virtual OS is problem free after a specific operation.

To make a long term archived backup...

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mic...rnalId=1013628

I have read and understand the VMware help docs and have a snapshot of a clean install, prior to installing any software. Hooray!!

Thread Information