Tearing hair out. Graphics card problem now....

Thread: Tearing hair out. Graphics card problem now....

Tearing hair out. Graphics card problem now....

Am trying to get my other PC ready to loan out long term to my brother and sister in law - only 1. It just refuses to accept a graphics card. Will ONLY run off motherboard graphics. Plug in graphics card (an old 6850) and nothing. Black screen. Fan is running, power getting to it, it IS plugged in. I switch to mobo graphics (have to reboot and remove power lead from 6850)) and I boots. It went this way initially to a new 7770 MSI I put in. Ive since got a replacement, and put in in other comp where its running OK. So had the 6850 - so its something to do with the connection, but WHAT ?

ALSO. I tried a Linux as my Windows 8 is now on other PC. Didn't like it so removed and tried to install my Windows 7.
    It wont allow me. Says cant find or create partitions. Wont let me put on other HD either
    WHY ? Is there a way round this ?

Lastly. The problematic PC (An ASROCK mobo with an A8 cpu) also screwed up 2 perfectly OK HDDs too. Had to take both out and they just both seem dead.
    What the hells happening ?????????

Quote Originally Posted by Phil K View Post

Am trying to get my other PC ready to loan out long term to my brother and sister in law - only 1. It just refuses to accept a graphics card. Will ONLY run off motherboard graphics. Plug in graphics card (an old 6850) and nothing. Black screen. Fan is running, power getting to it, it IS plugged in. I switch to mobo graphics (have to reboot and remove power lead from 6850)) and I boots. It went this way initially to a new 7770 MSI I put in. Ive since got a replacement, and put in in other comp where its running OK. So had the 6850 - so its something to do with the connection, but WHAT ?
    Could be dead. Have another computer you can try it in to make sure?

ALSO. I tried a Linux as my Windows 8 is now on other PC. Didn't like it so removed and tried to install my Windows 7. It wont allow me. Says cant find or create partitions. Wont let me put on other HD either
    WHY ? Is there a way round this ?
    Delete at least one existing partition first, and then it will allow you to create and format new partition(s).

Lastly. The problematic PC (An ASROCK mobo with an A8 cpu) also screwed up 2 perfectly OK HDDs too. Had to take both out and they just both seem dead.
    What the hells happening ?????????
    ESD (ElectroStatic Discharge) damage? Are you grounding yourself?

Thanks, the card has been tried elsewhere and no problem with it. Def the motherboard somehow.
    I have repeatedly deleted and formatted the HDD and same ongoing problem (all this seem to start with Windows 8)
    Charge - Could be but I doubt it. As it seemed to be working, rebooted and it had disappeared. (This before the above troubles)

1. Remove EVERYTHING from the case.

2. Place the motherboard on a non-conductive surface, such as cardboard (motherboard box) or plywood. Do *-NOT-* place the motherboard on the anti-static bag! It can actually conduct electricity.

3. Install the CPU, thermal grease and heat sink. (Intel Guide / AMD Guide)

4. Install 1 RAM module (stick).

5. Connect the monitor to the onboard video output.

6. Connect the power supply to the motherboard with both the 24-pin main ATX power connector and the separate 4- or 8-pin power connector.

7. Connect a power lead from the power supply to the power connector on the CPU fan.

8. Connect power to the power supply.

9. Do NOT connect ANYTHING else.

10. Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard. Consult your motherboard manual to find which two pins connect to your case's power switch. When you momentarily touch both pins with a screwdriver, it will complete the circuit and boot the system.

11. Get into the CMOS/BIOS Setup, reset it to factory defaults, save your changes, exit and then power down. (pull the plug).

12. Install the video card, making sure to attach any power supply connection(s) to the card if needed.

13. Bootup once more and see if you can get into the CMOS/BIOS Setup.

14. Let us know how it's going up to this point.

Thread Information