Samsung ML-2510- both LED's flashing

Thread: Samsung ML-2510- both LED's flashing

Samsung ML-2510- both LED's flashing

When I attempted to print a document, the paper only fed about an inch and the red LED flashed. Toner is fine, so I followed the cleaning instructions. This does NOT require disassembling the printer other than simply removing the toner cartridge and paper guide. After cleaning an reassembling, I closed the printer and both LED's started to flash. Samsung support did not have a solution, nor does power cycling, banging on the printer or anything else. I've never seen this before and am baffled. I sure don't want to invest in shipping this to Samsung repair since I only paid $50 for it new! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Thanks but I'd seen this already..I've tried what others have here without results.. I just don't understand how simply removing the toner and paper guide, cleaning the roller could completely disable the printer.. Strangest most illogical thing I've ever experienced.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Did you try uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling after rebooting your computer?

no actually I didn't.. since there was no document in the printer queue I didn't think it was a driver issue

Wouldn't hurt to do that though, never can tell what happens when you mess with fixing a printer. I would try that next.

OK I removed the driver, restarted and installed it again. What's really odd is that for some reason, my PC can't recognize the printer via USB. It was working perfectly for years.. I tried using a different USB port, but it still won't see it. I guess the coincidence of cleaning it and it suddenly going haywire had me think it was something I did. I have no idea how to troubleshoot from here though.

If, when you reinstalled the drivers, was the printer plugged into a USB port? If so, you need to wait for the installing software to tell you when to plug the USB cable in, otherwise Windows won't see the printer.

I just removed the printer driver not the entire software. I did not unplug the USB cable though. When reinstalling the driver it was odd that the Device Manager notice for 'new hardware found' did not pop up. So if I understand correctly, you're saying I should remove all the Samsung printer software including the driver, unplug the USB and power and start as if the printer was new, correct? I noticed when I downloaded the driver that instead of the window with install, it showed either 'repair' or 'remove'. Needless to say I haven't had to do this operation much since this is the first time this has occurred. It's just weird that the printer isn't recognizing anything out of the blue.

OK.. I removed the printer software and unplugged the USB. After rebooting and reinstalling the software, once I plugged the USB back in and turned the power on, the window said the printer was not turned on even though it was.. You can hear the fan running and the LED's flash. I'm completely stumped here and it seems like something internal went haywire when I just cleaned some dust out. The Smart Panel says "the current printer port is not supported for the printer status" which is odd given it's the same USB port I've been using for years. I give up.

Have you tried the printer on a different computer? It is possible that either the USB ports on the computer (or the USB in the printer) have failed.

No I have not.. it appears that the printer has died. All USB ports which have devices connected are working as they should (speakers, web cam, keyboard, etc).

it appears that the printer has died
    That would be my guess too. Time for a new one. They don't last forever and in the last few years, it seems, they don't last as long as they used to either.

Yes I've come to the same conclusion.. The funny thing about it is that I rarely print anything these days. At some point I'll replace it with a Brother laser printer once I find one that makes good economic sense. I've had the Samsung for about 9 years and obviously got my $50 worth, LOL

Yes, I agree your sure got your money's worth. I recently bought a Samsung laser 3405 all in one with fax and is wireless. So far it's Ben economical. I don't print much either but the toner isn't that expensive and I haven't had to buy another cartridge yet. It has been six months since I purchased this printer for $129.00.

Thread Information