[RESOLVED] Need to De-scent Smelly Quilt!

Thread: [RESOLVED] Need to De-scent Smelly Quilt!

Resolved [RESOLVED] Need to De-scent Smelly Quilt!

We have a queen size heavy quilt that my granddaughter gave to one of our dogs for a sleeping pallet. The dogs are not the problem--it is a baby kitten problem. We brought in one of our outside cat's kittens because it got very sick--pneumonia. For 2 moths now we have had this kitten in the house. She discovered the "dog's sleeping pad" and unbeknownst to us she was using it to eliminate her waste products. We didn't notice this because the sleeping pad is kept behind a large chair. It was not until it started smelling that we found out what was going on. Now I have a washing machine with a huge tub--big enough for bed clothing so washing this quilt was not problem. I have washed this quilt 3 times in my washing machine and using vinegar in the dispenser for the fabric softener. The quilt was dried outside in the hot sunshine each time I washed it. But the quilt continues to smell! I then took it to the laundry mat and used one of the large commercial washers to wash it in, thinking that maybe the quilt would have more room to move around in as it washed. And of course, I used vinegar again instead of fabric softener. Once again I put it out in the sunshine--but it still smells--not as bad as it originally did but it is still a noticeable smell. I thought about putting it in one of those large garbage bags and putting some type of herb in it that had a heavy scent and see if this would get rid of the bad smell. But I don't know what to use. Anyone with any ideas what I can do to get rid of this bad smell in the quilt? The quilt is very thick and heavy and my granddaughter gave the dog a really nice quilt. (It use to be her dog) I would hate to throw it away.
    Thanks,
    Sheila

My cat Maggie (in avatar) peed on my duvet after coming back from a procedure at the vets a couple of years ago. I used this product.. http://www.petastic.com/petlaundry.html
    It took a couple of tries but it worked for me.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thanks!

Thanks a bunch Fink, I will order some right now! We may need to use it again in the future because my husband has 15 outdoor cats and at times we have to bring one in when it gets sick.
    Very appreciatively,
    Sheila
    Sheila

In case you need a 2nd choice--I've very successfully used Odo-Ban, specifically made for animal waste, which Home Depot carries. Uses enzymes to neutralize and disinfect, also removes the stain. I would spray it on heavily on both sides before washing. Might be the same product in a different brand.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

Foxy: Don't know why I didn't think of that. I have used it in the past but not for the purpose you suggested. Been a long time since I bought any but I see it all the time so I shouldn't have any problem with finding it.
    Thanks for the suggestion!
    Sheila

It's far better than Nature's Miracle, the one in all the pet shops. But Fink is also a long-timer cat owner, and Petastic is also a detergent.

That's my late Foxy girl in my avatar.
    Last edited by foxy; August 22nd, 2014 at 05:37 PM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

Thread Information