[RESOLVED] Upgraded to 8.1 from 8 and now can't find my cell phone pics on COMPUTER

Thread: [RESOLVED] Upgraded to 8.1 from 8 and now can't find my cell phone pics on COMPUTER

Resolved [RESOLVED] Upgraded to 8.1 from 8 and now can't find my cell phone pics on COMPUTER

Moderator: if I posted this in the incorrect forum please move it to the proper forum. Thank you.

Full Title: Upgraded to 8.1 from 8 and now can't find my cell phone pics on COMPUTER with File Explorer

I recently upgraded from Win8 to Win8.1; why, because this stupid message kept coming up to alert me to a newer version. So like a dummy I upgraded. From what I read it is almost impossible for me to revert back to Win8.

Meantime. Ever since I did I can not view my cell phone when in "file explorer" as I was able to before the upgrade. From file explorer I go to COMPUTER and usually after a few second delay after plugging in my cell phone to the USB port the cell phone SCH-I545 (Samsung Galaxy S4) come up on the explorer. It is coming up but it does not show any folders just (folder is empty). Usually I get the folders on the cell phone which give me the cell phone and the card installed. I have done nothing to the cell phone. This all just happened when I upgraded Windows.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

The first thing I would do if you had pics that were on the computer hard drive and are now missing is use Recuva to see if they can be found. Do not use the computer until you have done a search in case they have been accidentally deleted so they aren't overwritten. Also worth trying is a simple file search in file explorer for the missing files in case they are now, for some reason, in a different location.

https://www.piriform.com/recuva

Did the Phone come with a CD to install software to be able to connect to the computer? If so you may want to run it again or go to the manuf website and see if there is a download of a utility needed to install on Win 8.1.
    Don't believe everything you think.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Sorry, may not have explained this correctly.

The photos were not on the harddrive but the phone card. My problem is that I can not see the phone card anymore since upgrading (I am connecting to the laptop with a USB cable). It just says the folder is empty but on my phone I see the photos in the exact same folder they have always been in. The computer recognizes the phone but does not show any folders on the card (phone) as it did before the upgrade.

Hope this clarifies

Thanks

So you're saying that the phone won't mount to USB, not that you actually lost data.

How did you mount the S4 on USB? Did you try both MTP and Camera (PTP) modes?

Did you install Samsung Kies? Did you reload the Samsung USB drivers?

Correct, phone won't mount USB. I have not lost data on harddrive or phone.

Ah, sorry, have no idea what you mean by MTP and PTP. Yikes!! Actually have no idea what Samsung Kies is either. I plugged it into the laptop a few months ago and was able to see the folder with the photos. maybe since I upgraded to win8.1 I need to reinstall something on the S4? I am lost here.

This is probably an Android issue rather than a Windows issue.

Did you check the S4 manual? Look at page 46
    http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...1.0_130412.pdf
    Open the notifications panel, and then tap Connected as a media device → Media
    device (MTP).
    Tap Camera (PTP) if your computer does not support Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) or
    not have any appropriate driver installed.
    Kies is the file transfer software from Samsung.
    https://www.samsung.com/in/support/u...tware/KIES/JSP

Okay, how stupid do I feel at this point. Something so easy I turned into something so complex and came here and bothered the two of you that I just solved myself and kind of embarrassed to tell you what I did; but learned for the future.

I went to follow your instructions midknyte and before I did that I just plugged the phone into the USB port of the laptop and once again did not see the folders, but at the same time I unlocked the phone on the phone screen to see a text message that just came through and the folders popped up. I can't believe it was something as simple as that. Because of all the things happening in my life now it just never dawned on me that when I was plugging in the phone I was not unlocking it so the folders can be viewed.

I now call my self "Mr. DAHHH"

I marked this resolved. Thanks all!!!!
    Last edited by question2012; August 4th, 2014 at 05:22 AM.

Thread Information