[RESOLVED] Can Open Office Read Word Documents?

Thread: [RESOLVED] Can Open Office Read Word Documents?

Resolved [RESOLVED] Can Open Office Read Word Documents?

I have MS Office 2003 and recently I wanted to send a friend of mine a Word document--but she does not have MS Office. She can not afford to buy a MS Office Suite and I was wondering if she downloaded Open Office (free) if she could use it to read Word documents I might send to her via email?
    Thanks,
    Sheila

Yes. So can LibreOffice.

https://www.openoffice.org/product/writer.html
    .docx & .doc support - Writer can of course read all your older Microsoft Word documents, or save your work in Microsoft Word format for sending to people who are still using Microsoft products. Writer can also open .docx files created with Microsoft Office 2007 or Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac OS X.

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-fresh/
    LibreOffice is compatible with many document formats such as Microsoft® Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher. But LibreOffice goes further by enabling you to use a modern open standard, the OpenDocument Format (ODF).

Midknyte: I went to both links that you posted and read all about each software. Which one do you think is the most user friendly? Since I have used MS Office for years & went to school for MS Office, I think I personally myself would not have a problem with either one. But my friend is not use to any office suite so I am wondering which one do you think would be the easiest one for her to learn and use?
    Thanks,
    Sheila

It's a coin toss. They are really similar.

I prefer LibreOffice. There is also a portable version. Just download the portable .exe and run the .exe to extract the LibreOfficePortable folder, and then run whichever app you want. No installation required. If you don't like it, delete the folder. That's it.

In your case, you'd run LibreOfficeWriterPortable.exe from the LibreOfficePortable folder.

http://portableapps.com/apps/office/...ffice_portable

OK, I think I will just send her both links you posted and let her choose which one she might want.
    Thanks for the suggestions and the links.
    Sheila

One small problem that might not affect you or your friend. If you have a table embedded in a Word doc, it gets all screwed in OpenOffice. It's affected me only once.

While we're on the subject, Midnyte:
    When I open Libre, I see this. How do I get rid of that strip of backgrounds? Sheilah's friend might not want this either.

Attachment 12471:

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

What do you mean strip of backgrounds? I don't usually install the gallery art stuff, so I don't have those images.

Did you change your default style? Did you try resetting your default style? Format - Styles and Formatting, click the Page Styles button, right-click Default and click Modify, click Reset.

Just switched from OpenOffice, I haven't used the program yet, and it was like that upon installation. Your method doesn't work, and I just removed all the gallery files from the program. The band is still there, but it's blank.
    Last edited by foxy; August 1st, 2014 at 09:22 AM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just installed v. 4.2.5.2. It has the strip on top too. 'm going back to Open Office. LO is becoming a Word wannabe.

Sheila, sorry about the threadjacking. I'll take this up on the LibreOffice forum if I decide to pursue it.
    Last edited by foxy; August 1st, 2014 at 09:30 AM.

Ok. I can't duplicate the error, so I'm not sure what you mean. I'm using LO 4.3.0 portable.

Foxy: Don't worry about highjacking my thread. I always like learning anything new even if it is from someone's else's mistakes. Since my friend is not proficient with any office program, maybe I better tell her to use Open Office instead so that she does not run into the same problems you having--she would have no idea how to fix it! Thanks for posting your problem--I learned something from it.
    Sheila

I don't get that issue in my LibreOffice, so I don't think it's a common problem. Like I mentioned, it seems to be related to some page style settings. My default setting doesn't have any backgrounds or a background bar. Oh well. To each his own.

Apache OpenOffice and LibreOffice are both forks of the original OpenOffice, which was discontinued by Sun/Oracle.

LibreOffice is installed on all my desktops and laptops and I have never seen that.

Linux or Windows.

Thread Information