Admin Account in Win 8

Thread: Admin Account in Win 8

Admin Account in Win 8

I need some help please and hope this is the correct forum.

I have a Toshiba laptop that came with Win 8. I set up my user account and I assume it was the admin account that I use when I log on. I have that awful password screen on boot up where I have to use a password in order to access the computer. Is this the admin password as well?

I want to set up a general user that will allow anyone that logs on to the laptop to use but I also want to password my admin account with a different password than what I log on with. I want to stop a user from downloading programs to my laptop without being in admin mode.

So I know how to add a user (I think) but how to I lock my admin account with a password? Also is there a way to by pass that awful log in screen at boot up?

Thank you.

If you set it to bypass the login screen and go directly into your account, how will anyone else be able login to their account on bootup?

LOL. I just want a standard user for anyone else that uses the laptop, but I want my admin account locked. My spouse uses it on occasion but just uses the account that comes up and so does my sister when she is there. They don't use it often but when they do I don't want them to be able to download anything.

Any transfer made to that computer is a download such as: web pages, email, videos, pictures, music, updates, . . .

So I know how to add a user (I think) but how to I lock my admin account with a password? Also is there a way to by pass that awful log in screen at boot up?
    Create a user account in Win8.1:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ount=windows-8
    You can just create a local account.

Just go into Control Panel - User Accounts. You can change your admin account password there.

Like SpywareDr mentioned, you'd need the login screen in order to switch between users.

Ok thanks guys. I will give it a try when I get home today. The log in screen is just annoying

Would not work for some reason. I created a standard account and left the admin the way it was, but when I got ready to log into the newly created one the message said "you have to be logged in to complete this action" or something similar. I got that message when I tried to log in.

Ok, so you created a Local Account as a Standard user. Did you set a password?

I just created a new local account on my test VM with a password and I was able to login on the first try.
    Can you get us the exact error message?

Yes I created a local account and set as standard with a password. When I could not get it to log on I deleted it, but will create another, see what happens and get error message.

Thanks.

Thread Information