Win 7 on Lenovo S10 netbook
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win 7 on Lenovo S10 netbook

Win 7 on Lenovo S10 netbook

I bought a Hard drive 7200 250 Gb for my Lenovo S10 Netbook. 2gb ram. I want to install win 7 32 bit on it.
    All I can find is Win 7 64 bit. Will that work, or where can I find win 7 32 bit. Do the drivers come with win 7, or
    where can I get them?

Jerry

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Check with Lenovo that they have drivers for your laptop. Windows 7 has most of them but there can be the odd hardware that's not supported.

I have seen Win 7 64 bit advertised for $79, but nothing for win7 32 bit. Would Win 7 64 bit work on my machine? Where can I find Win 7 32 bit at a low price?

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by jerryhillman View Post

Would Win 7 64 bit work on my machine?
    Microsoft.com > Windows 7 system requirements
    • 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
    • 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

Where can I find Win 7 32 bit at a low price?

From Amazon I bought a Windows 7 Home Premium SP! 32 bit (OEM) System Builder DVD 1 Pack. I am not sure if this is the correct one for me to
    install on my Lenovo S10 netbook with 2 Meg of ram.

What does (OEM) System Builder DVD 1 Pack. mean. Why do some Win 7 CD say (OEM) and other one do not say this.

Is (OEM) System Builder DVD 1 Pack different from other Win 7 CD. Why is this one a DVD. Will I be able to install it?

Jerry

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. In other words, if you chose to use this version, and you decide later to sell that laptop, you must give that DVD to the person buying your laptop. The other version is Retail and usually very expensive.

what does System Builder DVD 1 Pack mean. Does Win 7 come on a CD or DVD.
    Jerry

Win7 only comes on DVDs, not CDs.

From Amazon I bought a Windows 7 Home Premium SP! 32 bit (OEM) System Builder DVD 1 Pack. I am not sure if this is the correct one for me to install on my Lenovo S10 netbook with 2 Meg of ram.
    If you mean 2 GB of RAM, then yes, that's double the minimum RAM requirement for the 32-bit version of Windows 7.

Why is this one a DVD.
    Because Windows 7 is too big to fit on a single CD. (CDs only hold ~700 MB and DVDs ~4.7 GB).

Will I be able to install it?
    Don't know, but it's not hard to do. Boot the computer from the Windows 7 DVD and follow the onscreen instructions.

what does System Builder DVD 1 Pack mean.
    If you build your own computer it could be argued that you are a system builder and are therefore entitled to use the cheaper System Builder version of Windows. One of the reasons it's cheaper is because it's tied to the first computer you install it on and cannot be transferred to another computer. The retail version is more expensive but, it can be transferred to another computer providing it is removed from the original computer.

"Don't know, but it's not hard to do. Boot the computer from the Windows 7 DVD and follow the onscreen instructions."

I will take the old hard drive out of my Lenovo S10 and install the new Hard drive. Then plug in my external DVD player to the USB port. Will the USB port
    still be active with the new hard drive in place. QUESTION: When I put the win 7 dvd in the dvd player how do I get it to boot up? After win 7 is installed
    will my wireless network work. I have never seen a more detailed answer to my previous question. Thank You. How does the System builder know I have
    installed it once if i junk my S10 and try to reinstall it on another computer?

Jerry

"Don't know, but it's not hard to do. Boot the computer from the Windows 7 DVD and follow the onscreen instructions."

I will take the old hard drive out of my Lenovo S10 and install the new Hard drive. Then plug in my external DVD player to the USB port. Will the USB port
    still be active with the new hard drive in place. QUESTION: When I put the win 7 dvd in the dvd player how do I get it to boot up? After win 7 is installed
    will my wireless network work. I have never seen a more detailed answer to my previous question. Thank You. How does the System builder know I have
    installed it once if i junk my S10 and try to reinstall it on another computer?

I will take the old hard drive out of my Lenovo S10 and install the new Hard drive. Then plug in my external DVD player to the USB port. Will the USB port still be active with the new hard drive in place.
    It should be, yes.

QUESTION: When I put the win 7 dvd in the dvd player how do I get it to boot up?
    In the computer's CMOS/BIOS Setup, set it so it will try and boot from your USB attached DVD player before anything else, then save your changes and exit.

After win 7 is installed will my wireless network work.
    Depends on whether Windows recognizes and has a built-in driver available for the WiFi hardware in your computer. If not, you'll need to download the WiFi hardware driver from Lenovo and install it.

I have never seen a more detailed answer to my previous question. Thank You.
    You're welcome.

How does the System builder know I have installed it once if i junk my S10 and try to reinstall it on another computer?
    Microsoft will know as soon as you try to activate Windows again.

I am not happy with the builders Win7 as I would like to be able to install on another PC when the Lenovo goes bad. Does an OEM Win 7 version
    allow you to install on a second PC when the Lenovo is junked?

Jerry

Thread Information