Inserting camera memory chip into inX pc

Thread: Inserting camera memory chip into inX pc

Inserting camera memory chip into inX pc

After inserting the camera chip into the Memory Card Reader and plugging thr Reader into the pc's USB port I get a screen message "Tap to choose what happens with the memory card." Tapping any key sounds a note but nothing more.

What am I <<supposed>> to do to load my pictures?
    Thanks. ...wdc

Did the camera come with an install CD for your computer? If not you should visit the manuf website and see if they have any downloads for that model camera to allow the computer to view the contents of it's memory chip. As it is it seems Windows just doesn't know what to do with the files on the chip that it's seeing.

What's the make/model of the camera and what are the extensions of the files on the chip?

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Fink :Of course! It did come with a disk. But I no longer have it. FWIW the camera is a Nikon Coolpix L26. it apparently (per the manual)uses a disk containing ViewNX 2.

How do i best look for the disk on the web, start with the Nikon site?

The camera chip is a DYNEX 4GB with these markings
    SD-KO4G 1152 WY31.1SN.

Thanks for your help. ...wdc

Make and model of that camera would be a big help.

Most cameras have a setting where they tansfer the graphics in onboard memory to the memory chip and we have to format teh chip before it do that.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Perhaps this will help:

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/ans...ail/a_id/19104

Download the software from there. Then burn it to cd or dvd so you have it for future usage.

Manual: hot link too.
    http://cdn-10.nikon-cdn.com/pdf/manu.../L26L25_EN.pdf

Never seen a Nikon that needed the program, Just used a SD to USB adapter. And if you are using the NEF format, Faststone image viewer can open them up. Windows can NOT.

Thanks all. Was away; now back. Want to procede now to view my Nikon camera photos on my new Win 8.1 pc. Am a liittle overwhelmed with all the advice.

Train: Are you saying I should be able to load the pictures without using a Nikon ViewNX2 disk if I first download Faststone?

I have a Dynax gadget into which I insert the camera chip and then insert the gadget into one of the PC’s USB ports. Once I have Faststone installed do I have to do anything more to view the photos?

Am I correct that I can eliminate the SD to USB adaptor you mention?

What does NEF format mean? How do I know if I have it?

... wdc

Train: Are you saying I should be able to load the pictures without using a Nikon ViewNX2 disk if I first download Faststone?
    No, I do not do it that way.
    Windows explorer will see the files and you can cut/paste, move or what ever desire with windows explorer, The major problem is Windows can not open the graphics. Now that is where Faststone comes into play.
    It will batch convert NEF to about any picture format you wish.

NEF to Tif is my favorite.

Re my confused question about viewing photos using Windows 8.1: FWIW, I have learned by experimenting that:
    • Windows 8.1 comes with built-in Windows Viewer
    • When I insert a camera chip (via a card reader) into a USB port, a screen pops up that lets me select a source -- here my D-drive. When I can click on Nikon, a listing of all my photos appears.
    • By clicking an item I can view the photo and manipulate it (rotate, etc.)

But ....

1) I haven’t figured out how to save these photos. I don’t see a Save As option under File or how to rename each photo to something more descriptive than the number the camera gives it. It surely must be there!

2) And I strike out when I try to email one of the pictures. I get a message that I have not set up a mail account for Windows Viewer and I don’t follow the brief instructions on how to do so.

I would certainly appreciate help on 1) and 2).

Thanks. ... wdc

Train : I composed above before I noted your latest post (somehow I have not been getting email notices of new posts).

I gave up on the email garbage in about 2001. I just check the board daily.

Thread Information