External USB 2.0 HD stopping/starting..

Thread: External USB 2.0 HD stopping/starting..

External USB 2.0 HD stopping/starting..

I have recently bought an ASUS tablet w/ 8.1 and am going through my usual anal retentive procedure of making lots of backups.

I'm using Macrium Reflect free and it works just fine creating backup images to both an internal SDcard and to a USB thumb drive but I'm trying to get it to make a more reliable image onto my external hard drive.

It's a slightly older 500Gig Elephant drive that works just fine with all the other computers I hook it up to. But with the tablet the hard drive itself keeps stopping and starting and making it not only impossible to make a backup image but impossible to do any kind of operations at all.

It's not the physical connection... it's solid (or at least as solid as a micro USB connection can be) but there's some reason that the tablet is making the drive shut down suddenly whenever I start to do an operation.. whether it's an image w/ Macrium or even just a simple file delete within file explorer. I can hear it stop spinning then restart a few seconds later with various operation failed messages from whichever program I'm trying to use.

Ideas?
    tnks
    Don't believe everything you think.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

It is likely that your tablet does not supply enopugh power to the drive to keep it running properly. I have a Dell Mini 9 and it requires 2 USB connections to be used with an external CD/DVD drive in order for the drive to work. Does your hard drive have an external power supply that can be used to power it? If not, you might consider getting a power-only USB cable to connect to another device or USB power adapter to power the drive when it is connected to your tablet.

It is a powered drive so I wouldn't have thought it required any from the tablet.

This is the enclosure.. not sure what brand hard drive was installed in it.. never looked but it came with the drive when I bought it 3 years ago at a very good price from a video production company going out of business.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Eleph...torage/MAP407/

But you're right in that it does seem like that could be the problem symptom-wise. I do need to buy a powered USB hub anyway.. perhaps I'll do it sooner than later and see if that helps.
    Don't believe everything you think.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thread Information