lost all my firefox bookmarks thanks for avast virus scanner :( - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lost all my firefox bookmarks thanks for avast virus scanner :(

One thing I haven't yet seen mentioned, and it's a very outside chance anyway, is if Avast may have purposely deleted/quarantined the profiles if, while scanning them, detected a hit in it's malware database.. maybe real or maybe a false positive. In any case have a look in the Avast quarantine folders and see if there are any Firefox files (eg *.json) and then you could restore them.

If any are there then temp disable Avast and make a copy of the found files after they are restored in case Avast deletes them again. In the meantime you could either put them in Avast's exclusion zone or somehow try to find the offending URL and delete it manually.

Again, I stress this is a low probability fix/situation but only take a few seconds to have a look at.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

I didn't see where you mentioned which version of FF you are running. Note that FF29+ doesn't create a backup bookmark .json file every time you start FF.

If Fink's idea doesn't work, I don't think there is much more you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    I didn't see where you mentioned which version of FF you are running. Note that FF29+ doesn't create a backup bookmark .json file every time you start FF.

If Fink's idea doesn't work, I don't think there is much more you can do.
    I'm on FF 31, and there are 15 recent bookmark backups in my folder, from 7/14-7/28.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

If you upgraded from an older version, then that function still works. If you start with a fresh profile, then it doesn't. Supposedly, there is some timing setting that saves if FF is idle for 10+ minutes.

From the Mozilla forums:
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/999068
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/998682

I'm on Firefox 31.0.

There was nothing close to what I was looking for in the virus chest

Is there no other way something could possibly be saved? I've searched for bookmarks in my C: but that hasnt given me much

One other thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is to click bookmarks> show all bookmarks> import/backup> restore. Are there any older bookmark backups there?

With all the deleting/replacing/etc that's been done I expect they're all gone but worth a look. You should also try running Recuva's "deep scan".. click it in "options" .. takes a while but will find more things.

Also, dumb question maybe but are your bookmarks also in Internet Explorer?

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Don't bother looking for bookmarks elsewhere, as they exist only in your profile.

What he means is, it will restore from the folder "Bookmark backups" after asking you to choose one date. Choose 7-20, finish up whatever it asks, then close and restart FF.

After you restart: Check also if your history was saved from before the AVG mess.
    Last edited by foxy; July 30th, 2014 at 09:10 PM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's not dumb, fink. I have 3 browsers that share the same bookmark files.

Thread Information