Why buy Office 2003 and old Adobe Photoshops CS2

Thread: Why buy Office 2003 and old Adobe Photoshops CS2

Why buy Office 2003 and old Adobe Photoshops CS2

For discussion.
    I still see older versions of Office 2003/2007 for sale, and I know that Microsoft is practically giving away 2013. Why would anyone buy the older versions? And the prices for the hard copy are fairly high $29.99.

I also see for sale online hard copies of Photoshop (CS2) and wonder why someone would buy it if Adobe is giving free downloads.
    As I understand it those type of softwares are only compatible with XP (not Vista/7) and people I know are getting rid of their Xp machines, going to upgrade.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    I still see older versions of Office 2003/2007 for sale, and I know that Microsoft is practically giving away 2013. Why would anyone buy the older versions? And the prices for the hard copy are fairly high $29.99.
    Because that's cheaper. Office 2013, or as in my case Office 2010, was much, much more costly than 29.99. I don't know, because you didn't say, who's selling this software, but I would be cautious about buying from them. These software could be copied software and therefore illegal.

s I understand it those type of softwares are only compatible with XP (not Vista/7)
    Not true. I have CS2 on my Windows 7 computer right now, and previously had Office 2003 on this computer (until my brother said he didn't like Office software and sold me his version of Office 2010) and they both run fine on this operating system.

I also see for sale online hard copies of Photoshop (CS2) and wonder why someone would buy it if Adobe is giving free downloads.
    Not everyone knows Adobe is giving away CS2.

Libre Office is free and I prefer it to the Microsoft office garbage.
    Faststone image viewer and Gimp handle my graphic stuff . Both free.

Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

I use Open Office, free and open-source. Libre Office is the new version, but it takes forever to load. For image editing, a PaintShopPro 8 I bought in 2003 and Irfanview, which is free. I think I've gotten my money's-worth from the PSP.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

I use Open Office, free and open-source. Libre Office is the new version, but it takes forever to load. For image editing, a PaintShopPro 8 I bought in 2003 and Irfanview, which is free. I think I've gotten my money's-worth from the PSP.
    And like others you missed the point of Sal Gal's question. She asked pointedly why anyone would buy these softwares if they didn't run on newer computers. Her questions had nothing to do with what you use instead.

Oops, missed something.

Back on track: As of 4/8, there were still an estimated 30 mill computers on XP, and from what I've read, many people and businesses will not be switching till they're forced to. So there's still a market for older versions of programs. (I'm still using a few programs that were written for Win 98.)
    Last edited by foxy; July 29th, 2014 at 02:46 AM.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think Adobe is giving away any programs:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/adrianki...ions-for-free/

I D/L the file from MajorGeeks, and the serial number doesn't work.
    Last edited by foxy; July 29th, 2014 at 02:37 PM.

You have to get the software from Adobe and you have to have a membership. I got mine about a month ago and they are still giving it away, you can get individual downloads like I did or the whole suite if you want that instead. Use this link:
    https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitl...=cs2_downloads

Train: Have you seen a tutorial on how to use Faststone Viewer? I <need> it, can't find it. Thanks. ...wdc

Biostar TA790GX A2+ 6.0
    AMD Phenom X4 9750 CPU.
    4 Gig DDR2 Memory.
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    500 Watt P.S.
    LG W2241T Widescreen 22" LCD
    ViewSonic VA721 17" LCD
    Envision 17" LCD
    2 LG DVD Drives
    Floppy Disk Drive
    Maxtor 120 Gig Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit