Moving from a desktop with XP to a laptop with W8

Thread: Moving from a desktop with XP to a laptop with W8

Moving from a desktop with XP to a laptop with W8

The good news: I received a relatively new hand-me-down Samsung laptop PC (with Windows 8, I think). I have “connected” it to my current router and I can successfully access the internet.

The bad news: I did not receive a manual and I don’t even know the Samsung model number.

How can I confirm these basic parameters and functions? Its model number; its OS; how much memory it has (I believe it has one hard drive with something like 620 GB free of a total capacity of 650GB; what browser it uses (I believe it is Chrome); how I access its HELP menus; how I shut it down.

I intend to transition from my current clunky XP pc to this laptop and am dreading the process. Can anyone please suggest a How-to that describes a logical step-by-step process I should follow?

Thanks much. .... wdc

Should be on a label on the bottom of the laptop.
    You want the model number.

The default look for Windows 7 is a Desktop with a Start orb on the left end of a Taskbar along the bottom edge of the screen.
    Since Windows 8 was designed for touch screen devices, it looks quite a bit different with big buttons ... "Metro"/tiles ... more like a cellphone or tablet screen.

These images show examples of Samsung laptop model numbers.

To see the basic computer info such as which Windows version, how much RAM etc., press [Winkey][Pause/Break].
    Or in Windows 7/Vista/XP you can click Start (orb), right-click Computer and select Properties.
    Or in Windows 8, from the "Metro" screen, just start typing Control Panel, then press [Enter] and select System.

To see hard drive info, press [Winkey][E]. (Then right-click any drive and select Properties).
    Or in Windows 7/Vista/XP, you can click Start (orb) and then Computer. (Then right-click any drive and select Properties).
    In Windows 8, from the "Metro" screen, type in This PC, press [Enter]. (Then right-click any drive and select Properties).

To see even more info, on Windows 7 and Vista click the Start orb, type in msinfo32 and press [Enter]. You can type in the same from the Windows 8 "Metro" screen, or from Start > Run in XP.

To see everything all in one place, give Speccy a try. It's from the same people, "Piriform", that created CCleaner, Recuva and Defraggler.

Train, Doc: Thank you. I found the label; I have a model NP510R5E with W8.
    I will now learn the bells and whistles. ... Wdc

How do I transfer the bookmarks I have on my XP pc to my new W8 laptop?

As an aside: I have tried to use the Dummies book on W8 (by Rathbone) without success. Can you believe that there is no index entry for BOOKMARKS! I find the Dummy books to be worse than useless. Is there a better book anyone can recommend? Or will I just have to continue to rely on you?

You are all great. Thanks. wdc

(Why are you shouting?)

On the Windows XP machine:

1. Connect a USB flash drive (or whatever) to the Windows XP machine.

2. Create a folder named "Favorites" (without the quotes) on the USB flash drive.

3. Use Windows Explorer to copy the contents of this folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Favorites

on the Windows XP machine into the "Favorites" folder on the USB flash drive.

4. Use the Windows "Safely Remove Hardware" and remove the USB flash drive.

On the Windows 8 machine:

1. Connect the USB flash drive to the Windows 8 machine.

2. Copy the contents of the "Favorites" folder on the USB flash drive to this folder:

C:\Users\<username>\Favorites

on the Windows 8 machine.

3. Use the Windows "Safely Remove Hardware" and remove the USB flash drive.

Doc: Thank you. ... wdc

Doc: Re your advice re "Use the Windows "Safely Remove Hardware" and remove the USB flash drive." came as a surprise to me. I was unaware of that step, apparently lucky I have never had trouble just plugging and unplugging the flash drive. What is the <<correct>> procedure? Where do I find the "Safely Remove Hardware" option on the XP pc? ... wdc

Quote Originally Posted by wdc View Post

Doc: Thank you. ... wdc
    You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by wdc View Post

Where do I find the "Safely Remove Hardware" option on the XP pc? ... wdc
    Google Images: xp "safely remove hardware"

Thread Information