Windows 8 laptop no longer recongizes keypad or mouse pad.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8 laptop no longer recongizes keypad or mouse pad.

Windows 8 laptop no longer recongizes keypad or mouse pad.

Ok I have a Toshiba Satellite S55-A5279 that has Windows 8 on it yesterday I turned it off got a message that someone else was logged on and it continued to turn off. Today tried to turn it on and will go to lock in screen but my keyboard or the mouse pad seem to function How do I get the keyboard and mouse pad to work again. I need to get it working again to see if I got hacked or got a virus.

Thanks

Tony

Can you boot into the BIOS setup? If you can, then the keyboard works, if not, then the keyboard/touchpad may have hardware issues (loose cable, etc.).

Was able to the last time I tried. But once I exit that and the computer is restarted then it no longer functions.

Was able to the last time I tried.
    When was that? Are you saying the KB works in the BIOS now?

Did you try booting to recovery? Hold shift and keep tapping F8 right after you power on the laptop. The old F8 for safe mode doesn't work in Win8.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/107511/how-...-the-easy-way/

Once you get into recovery, you can try a system restore to a previous point (when your KB was working).

Holding shift and F8 does nothing. Holding shift and pressing F8 all the time does nothing either. I can hold the F2 which brings me to what I believe it the bios screen. And my keyboard works there I can arrow to any of the menus and I can exit by using the escape key.

got a message that someone else was logged on
    Are you part of a network and share files off your machine?
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

If you can't get into recovery mode, try connecting an external keyboard and mouse. If that doesn't work, a reinstall might be needed, which could be difficult since you likely don't have any installation media.

It's tricky to get the shift+F8 timing right. You could also try F11, but that doesn't work for all systems.

Try jdc2000's idea about the external KB/mouse. If that works, try a System Restore to an earlier point from within Windows.

To restore your PC to an earlier point in time

Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Search.)

Enter Control Panel in the search box, and tap or click Control Panel.

Enter Recovery in the Control Panel search box, and then tap or click Recovery.

Tap or click Open System Restore, and then follow the instructions.

F11 does not work and your right no recovery media since manufactures do not want to include them any more. Looks like I will have to hit the store to buy a keyboard and mouse to see if that will work. It maybe cheaper to hand over the laptop to a computer repair place then to buy them. lol

Oh and I am not part of a network. In a moment of weakness I did not follow my own advise and clicked on a stupid photo on facebook.

The quick guide that comes with Toshiba laptops has the instructions for making the restore dvds or USB stick.

To use DVDs:
    Boot up and open dvd tray and insert DVD #1
    Hold power button to shut down laptop. Close the tray.
    Hit the power button and start tapping F11, when the one time boot selector pops up, arrow down to to the DVD and hit enter.
    Be Patient, with 4 or 5 dvds, it may take 4 hours for the restore. It did with Vista.

A thumb drive would nuch be faster. Either way all drivers and factory programs will be there when the restore is complete.

It maybe cheaper to hand over the laptop to a computer repair place then to buy them. lol
    I would think a tech would charge you way more. Can you borrow a KB/mouse from a friend?

F11 does not work and your right no recovery media since manufactures do not want to include them any more.
    You're supposed to make them when you first get the laptop. There is a prompt that asks you "Do you want to create your recovery media?" or something to that effect. Oh well.

FAQ: How to create recovery media in Windows 8
    http://support.toshiba.com/support/m...ext=1200006324

Nope when the laptop came from Toshiba windows was already loaded and ready to go all I had to do was register it. No prompt on either PC. So I ordered the disks for the 2 laptops from Toshiba should arrive in 4-6 weeks. No one I know use desktop anymore. Could try at work when I go back on Sunday night. Most of the PC repair places here are real cheap. It only cost me $100 to replace my screen on my previous Toshiba laptop.

Well it seems you can turn the touchpad and keyboard off.
    So spend less than $50 and get you a external usb mouse and keyboard.

manual
    http://support.toshiba.com/support/s...mTOCLink=false

I can use either a switch or the Fn+F9 keys to turn off my mouse. Win 8 has the keyboard right next to the power button on the screen. Manual shows where it is.

Thread Information