Printer issues with Win8.1

Thread: Printer issues with Win8.1

Printer issues with Win8.1

I have just put 8.1 on my desktop. I have a Samsung CLX-3305FW printer connected as a wireless device. Every time I shut down the desktop, the printer no longer functions. I have to remove the printer device thru the control panel and reinstall it to get it to work again.

I have a laptop using windows 7 that does not do this so I am assuming it has something to do with the 8.1 installation.

Thanks in advance!
    Nabrin

It sounds like Windows 8 is not preserving your wireless connection to the printer. As a test, you could try setting up the printer on the Win 8 computer using a wired connection, and see if the same thing happens.

I think it has to do with the IP address. I moved the printer to be networked off the back of the router this time. The IP address has now changed to ending in 192.168.1.6.

What I don't understand is why win7 didn't seem to care the IP was changing, and win8.1 did. I am going to run it a day and see if it changes IP. I don't know if it doing it in the sleep cycle of the printer or when everything gets turned off for the night.

Heading to work so will post back tomorrow when I figure it out.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
    Nabrin

You should set a STATIC IP for the printer, outside of the DHCP scope of the router. I find it to be more reliable that way, especially for servers and printers.

Your router , unless you change things in settings, will change the ip addresses every 24 hours.

That is why I set the computer addresses for above 50 and set the printers and the like addys below 50 so they do not change.

Besides, wired is much faster than wireless.

Thread Information