SD Card is read x2 the actual size

Thread: SD Card is read x2 the actual size

SD Card is read x2 the actual size

I have a ProMaster 4GB SD card but it is being read as 7.45GB in the computer. I use 3 different card readers on two different Win7 computers and in all occasions, it is read as a 7.45GB (i.e., 8GB) card even after formatting it anew in the camera. Have you guys seen this kind of error before?

I guess I can't trust this card anymore?

Format it and see what it then says.

How old is it? Did it ever read as the correct size? Considering how cheap they are these days I wouldn't trust it to store anything important and spend 5 bucks on a new one but I'd be curious enough to try to move more than 4G of data onto it and see what happens. You could drag and drop the contents of a Win 7 install CD twice for enough files to fill it up. Or 2 HD DVD movies etc.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    Format it and see what it then says.
    Already did, in camera, still say 7.45GB. Just Now, I formatted it in a Win7 computer, still says 7.45GB.

Quote Originally Posted by fink View Post
    How old is it? Did it ever read as the correct size? Considering how cheap they are these days I wouldn't trust it to store anything important and spend 5 bucks on a new one but I'd be curious enough to try to move more than 4G of data onto it and see what happens. You could drag and drop the contents of a Win 7 install CD twice for enough files to fill it up. Or 2 HD DVD movies etc.
    I have so many cards, I've just never paid real attentions.

OK, I copied 2 Win8 preview iso files and a batch of photos to it. It DOES hold 7.45GB of stuffs. I open the copied photos and they are just fine. So I guess it may be a 8GB card mislabeled as 4GB from the factory. Anyway, I still don't really trust it. Probably won't use it for photo taking but for temp. file storage only.

That mislabling has happened before. So you got lucky.

Thread Information