How to access shared drives on W7 machine from new W8 laptop

Thread: How to access shared drives on W7 machine from new W8 laptop

Question How to access shared drives on W7 machine from new W8 laptop

I cannot access the shared drives on my W7 desktop feom new W8 laptop. Both are in the same workgroup. Get the message: "Log-on failure: the user has not been granted the requested log-on type at this computer". Not even sure which one 'this computer' refers too. Always works fine on my older machines (XP and Vista). I did create a user with my email address. same as i use on W8, on the W7 machine, but to no avail. Any suggestions ? Thanks !

Make sure that the shared drives/folders have the corect user permissions added.

Possibly useful link:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...6-f1202a5c8afb

Yes, thanks jdc2000, i have checked all the available discussions before starting this thread, and followed all the suggestions found, your link included. I also have done som experimentation with homegroup, despite the fact that will exclude the older machines, just as a proof of concept, but i kept getting the same "Log-on failure" message even within that configuration. At this point i see no further avenues to approach this.

So I'm assuming you went into group policy and set the "Access this computer from the network" to EVERYONE? Saying that you went through all the suggestions doesn't tell us what you actually tried.

Always works fine on my older machines (XP and Vista).
    So you still have an XP and a Vista machine that can connect to the Win7 shares?

Get the message: "Log-on failure: the user has not been granted the requested log-on type at this computer". Not even sure which one 'this computer' refers too.
    The PC you are connecting to must grant access to the shares. You stated that the shared drives are on the Win7, so that's the PC that must grant access. If XP and Vista can connect, then it's probably a Win8 issue.

I did create a user with my email address. same as i use on W8, on the W7 machine
    When you enter an email address as your username, that a Microsoft account, not a Local account. Win7 systems don't use Microsoft accounts to log in. That might be the problem. If you want to keep using your Microsoft account on Win8, then we'll have to try something else.

You could try converting your Win8 account to a Local account. Delete the email username account on the Win7 system and create a new account with the Win8 local username.
    http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/win...local-account/

"set the "Access this computer from the network" to EVERYONE?" - yes.
    "you still have an XP and a Vista machine that can connect to the Win7 shares?" - yes.
    "The PC you are connecting to must grant access to the shares. You stated that the shared drives are on the Win7, so that's the PC that must grant access. If XP and Vista can connect, then it's probably a Win8 issue." - that is my impression as well.
    "When you enter an email address as your username, that a Microsoft account, not a Local account" - yes, i know. I found the suggestion to create an identical user on W7, but it did not help.
    "If you want to keep using your Microsoft account on Win8" - not necessarily, if changing it turns out to be an easy solution. The reason i did not try that route so far is that because the MS id seems now to be the native procedure for W8, and i do not know if i would incur any disadvantages doing that. But i shall try that next, see what happens.
    Thanks, Midknyte - R.

Phew! Just spent 4 hours messing with all kinds of possible settings, and it finally seems to work. Unfortunately i can not share what actually was the solution, as i do not know. I should have kept a written record of all the steps i performed, but that would have probably taken 12 hours instead of 4, and most of them were wrong anyway. Thanks to everybody who gave me feedback here, greetings, R.

Thread Information