[RESOLVED] I inadvertently lost half my hard drive space.

Thread: [RESOLVED] I inadvertently lost half my hard drive space.

Resolved [RESOLVED] I inadvertently lost half my hard drive space.

I tried to make a partition on a one tb drive and I guess I didn't make a partition, I'm not sure what I've done actually. I was installing win 8.1 on a brand new hard drive and when a screen came up during install showing the space where windows would be installed, format and new were available on this screen and I clicked new and typed in 450000 in the window that originally had 980 thousand and some on it and clicked create. The screen then showed three entries in the window. one said 450000 and said "primary" something or other another entry said 300 mb some kind of system thing written beside it and then another one said another six digit (i think it was the remainder of the disk space) and had some writing beside it. I ASSumed that that would be another drive(partition) but once install finished I only see the C: drive and the DVD burner in the This PC window. What did I do wrong and how do I fix it?
    OMG Did I do that!!
    ME versus my Computer and it is definitely winning LOL

I tried to make a partition on a one tb drive and I guess I didn't make a partition
    I think you mean you were trying to make 2 partitions? You would always have at least one partition.

I clicked new and typed in 450000 in the window that originally had 980 thousand and some on it and clicked create.
    Sounds like you wanted to split the drive into two halves, I.E. two partitions.

I ASSumed that that would be another drive(partition) but once install finished I only see the C: drive and the DVD burner in the This PC window.
    You must create the SECOND partition in Disk Management.
    Take a look at this link:
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/window...-windows-8.htm

Choose the unused space and create another partition. If your DVD drive is set to D:, you might want to change it to a higher drive letter first. I always set my optical drive to R: (and S: if there are 2 optical drives).
    Otherwise, you'd have C: (partition1), D: (DVD), E: (partition2), which would be kinda weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    If your DVD drive is set to D:, you might want to change it to a higher drive letter first. I always set my optical drive to R: (and S: if there are 2 optical drives).
    Otherwise, you'd have C: (partition1), D: (DVD), E: (partition2), which would be kinda weird.
    How does one change the drive to a different letter?
    OMG Did I do that!!

Ok never mind to the last post i changed the drive letter. I am in disk management and am not quite clear on how to create the second partition, is it the new simple volume?
    OMG Did I do that!!

Ok never mind I got her done thank you for your help. Problem solved
    OMG Did I do that!!

Thread Information