Connecting an HD TV w/HDMI cable to stereo components (non-HD)

Thread: Connecting an HD TV w/HDMI cable to stereo components (non-HD)

Angry Connecting an HD TV w/HDMI cable to stereo components (non-HD)

Hi Docs. I have a three year old HD TV connected via an HDMI cable to my HD DVR and get great picture and good sound but I cannot push the volume above 15 without getting distortion. I want to connect the TV through my stereo system so I can listen through my receiver for all my components. I have:

HD TV
    HD DVR box
    receiver (ten years old or more)
    CD player
    DVD player

When I try to use the DVD player I get a black and white grainy picture so I figure something is not connected correctly. I tried to connect everything to my receiver with RCA plugs except the TV/DVR combo which are connected via HDMI cable. Can you steer me in the right direction please???? Steve
    Steve

Make and model numbers for the TV, Receiver, and DVD player would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    The TV is the newest; the other components are non-HD. I will get the model numbers for you. The TV is a Samsung 46-in LCD HD TV, The receiver is Sherwood and the DVD player is Sony. Steve
    Steve

RCA Plugs..

Is that composite (3 cables, L-R audio and video) or component (5 cables, L-R audio and 3 x video) ?

Check you are plugging into the correct sockets.

Some tvs or receivers may share sockets for component / composite cables, so check the menus if necessary and switch between component / composite just in case it is not identifying the correct input.

Quote Originally Posted by General Winters View Post
    RCA Plugs..

Is that composite (3 cables, L-R audio and video) or component (5 cables, L-R audio and 3 x video) ?

Check you are plugging into the correct sockets.

Some tvs or receivers may share sockets for component / composite cables, so check the menus if necessary and switch between component / composite just in case it is not identifying the correct input.
    Most are what I call RCA cables, either single male end RCA plugs but I think I have one set that has two RCA cables on the end and one for my DVR and TV that is gold with three plugs on each end. I thought they were component?
    Steve

Before I replaced my older TV with the new one I had everything connected through my stereo system with the same plugs. I am reasonably sure I connected correctly each component to my receiver (except maybe the DVD player!)
    Steve

SteveMP170--Have you tried using the RCA cables to plug into the Sherwood? (assuming both TV and receiver have the appropriate ports)
    Last edited by Welshjim; May 3rd, 2014 at 01:44 PM.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Samsung HDTV: Model#LN46E550F6FXZA
    Sony CD/DVD player: Model#DVPN5300
    Sherwood receiver: Model#RX4103
    Sony 5-disc CD Player: Model#CDPC445
    Steve

That TV does not have any audio out connections. What you need to do is route the audio from the CD/DVD players and whatever other TV signal sources through your receiver. Your receiver does not appear to have HDMI connections, so you might need something like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=1

Or, it might be time to upgrade the TV and receiver.

That TV does not have any audio out connections. What you need to do is route the audio from the CD/DVD players and whatever other TV signal sources through your receiver. Your receiver does not appear to have HDMI connections, so you might need something like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=1

Or, it might be time to upgrade the TV and receiver.
    That must be my answer! I know the receiver is older but the tv is not even three years old so I figured there wasn't a problem there. Thanks for the help!
    Steve

Thread Information