[RESOLVED] Computer runs for a few minutes then dies! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [RESOLVED] Computer runs for a few minutes then dies!

Chances are that the motherboard settings are ok, but I don't like to assume.

Signs seem to indicate that your liquid cooling has failed. You checked that the tubes aren't kinked or bent, right? I still can't seem to find the make/model of that cooler. Did you check if the power plug the cooler is using is good? If that failed, then the pump wouldn't work.

Yes, the date has been fine. Always accurate.

I don't really have a budget, but didn't want to spend a lot on a 3-year-old computer. Also, we're not 100% that this will fix the issue. My husband is going to a bigger city tomorrow where there is a Best Buy. I was kind of hoping they would have a decent one in their store so I don't have to order it and wait a week or so to get it. That being said, I'm still open to ordering one if I need to in order to get the one that is best for the money.

Seen a bad shutdown, once in a while, really mess up BIOS settings. ASUS motherboards at one time where noted for doing it.
    So go into BIOS and double checfk those setting.

Best Buy doesn't usually have a big selection of heatsinks. You'd need to get a Socket 1366 heatsink that can handle the TDP of the CPU.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i...601960%29.html
    Thermal Design Power 130 Watt

@Train
    Agreed. Other than actual OCing, I usually see that OC error with a messed up bios or a dying cmos batter. I'm suspecting the bios will say "Auto" for voltage. Otherwise, the voltage range should be 0.8V - 1.375V

I would love to have an exact recommendation (link to store) for a heatsink. I'll try tomorrow to get into the bios (quickly!) to check those settings. Thanks!

BIOS batteries, had 3 so far that were bad on brand new motherboards, so yes I agree on that change out too.

Yes, I realize they have been known to last longer than 3 years, but a change out is cheap insurance and easily done.

I looked, but I have no idea where the battery is!

The usual cmos battery is about the size of a quarter. Model CR2032
    I bought some Duracell CR2032s from CVS a couple months ago. I think they were around $2 each. Maybe $1.50.

I know what the battery looks like, but I couldn't find it on my computer.

Here's a decent CPU cooler for $20 after $10 rebate delivered to your front door. Best Buy doesn't have a clue when it comes to PC parts anymore and I quit shopping there over 10 years ago. The BIOS reverting to default state will happen after a hard crash caused by overheating (and other things as well)., I've had it happen. Not knowing the others in this forum I don't know their actual experience with issues like this but I deal with things like it every day. Replace the cooler, the odds are 98% it'll solve the problem. When you're in there you should be able to find the CMOS battery as well if you want to replace it. Make sure you also use a thermal paste when replacing the cooler, I use Arctic Silver 5 myself. Put a THIN coating on top of the CPU, the least amount used to cover it completely the better. The compound fills the imperfections between the top of the CPU and bottom of the heatsink, too much will actually act as an insulator and negatively affect cooling.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103065
    i7 5930K @4.6ghz, Asus X99 Deluxe, 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 2400, XFX R9 290X, Samsung 850 Pro 256gb, 4 Seagate 7200 rpm 2tb, Seasonic X1250, Corsair H105, Asus Xonar Essence STX, LiteOn iHBS212, Plextor 890SA, Corsair 500R, Win 10 Enterprise 64.

That looks like a good deal. It's a pretty tall heatsink, so check the dimensions and make sure it will fit in your case.

Best Buy doesn't have a clue when it comes to PC parts anymore
    Agreed.

Oops...I should have gotten back sooner to let you know what's going on. I ordered the cpu cooler recommended above from Newegg.com. It has not arrived, yet! I didn't choose the expedited shipping, because in the past they always shipped super fast. This time however, it is coming very slowly! Newegg (like several other online stores) shipped this item via Fed Ex but then passed it off the local Post Office delaying the delivery by "up to two days". I hate it when they do that!! I'll post back and let you know if this worked. Thanks!

Success!! Yay! My husband (who replaced the part) wasn't too happy because it was quite a job. I believe he had to remove the mother board to mount the base to below it? Something like that. Also, I found the battery. It was nestled under the video card (where I thought it might be). The only way to get to it is to remove the video card. My core temp program is showing temps between 32-44C. Much better! I left computer running all night, and it was still running (cool) this morning. My son hasn't pushed it to the limit, yet, but I'm hoping this cooler will do the job. Thanks for all the responses!

I believe he had to remove the mother board to mount the base to below it?
    Yes. The backplate. That's not unusual.

Also, I found the battery. It was nestled under the video card (where I thought it might be). The only way to get to it is to remove the video card.
    Yes. Some video cards are pretty long and have big heatsinks.

Quote Originally Posted by crowland2
    ... My son hasn't pushed it to the limit, yet, but I'm hoping this cooler will do the job...
    That Cooler Master is even used for mild overclocking, so should not cause any problems.
    With that said, depending on it's environment, the fan provided is not known for longevity.
    Don't be surprised if you need to replace the Cooler Master's fan in two years time.
    Cheers.

Thread Information