[RESOLVED] Computer runs for a few minutes then dies!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Computer runs for a few minutes then dies!

Resolved [RESOLVED] Computer runs for a few minutes then dies!

My son bought this computer about 3 years ago: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?EdpNo=7225657 A few days ago, I was just surfing (not gaming) on it and it suddenly shut down. When I tried to restart it, I got a message "Warning!!! Overclocking has failed."--something like that, and it shut down again. If I leave it off a while, it will run for 5-10 minutes, but will eventually shut down. My son said he had overclocked it at one time, but put it back to normal--whatever that means. On one of the times it ran for 10 or so minutes, I was able to go the bios to check the temps thinking it was overheating. I was able to get this under PC Health Status:

cpu temp - 79c/174f
    ioh -temp 59c/138f
    System temp - 37c/98f
    cpu fan speed - 6666 rpm

I have cleaned the dust (and yes there was plenty!) out of the fans and the case. I made sure the power supply fan, the video card fan, and the cpu fan (?) were all working.

It's a liquid-cooling system that is not supposed to fail, but I do't know much about that. Also, it is running AVG, and I scan it daily.

Please let me know if there is something I can do. It's been a great computer! I'd like to try to fix it if possible. Thanks!

My son said he had overclocked it at one time, but put it back to normal--whatever that means.
    That means running the CPU over the original clock spec. I can't see your computer specs right now, due to content filtering.

cpu temp - 79c/174f
    ioh -temp 59c/138f
    System temp - 37c/98f
    cpu fan speed - 6666 rpm
    That CPU temp is pretty high. 6666rpm would sound like a buzzsaw. Something isn't right there. If you're using liquid-cooling, then that might be a false reading. What is plugged into the cpu fan power plug on the motherboard?

Check the bios settings and make sure they properly match the cpu. It's also possible that the cmos battery is dying and it is not saving the proper settings.

It's a liquid-cooling system that is not supposed to fail
    They can and do fail. Verify the the pump is working. Also check that the heatsink is properly mounted onto the cpu.

I'd get a stock Intel heatsink & fan then put that on in place of the liquid cooling on the CPU and see what, if any, difference it made. That would be my first step. The temps you posted are extremely high and are when the computer isn't under load, when under load it gets so hot it shuts down. I've been working with overclocking & liquid cooling for several years and rarely have Intel CPU's get that hot when running Prime95.

I thought I replied already, and I apologize if this posts twice. It does sound very loud! I looked for the battery because I read that it would reset the bios if I removed it, but I couldn't locate it. How do I check the heatsink mount? Also, how do I know if the pump is working? Thanks for the reply!

I looked for the battery because I read that it would reset the bios if I removed it, but I couldn't locate it.
    I still can't tell what model motherboard you have. The battery would be about the size and shape of a quarter. Model CR2032.

How do I check the heatsink mount?
    You need to see if the heatsink is flush against the top of the CPU.

Also, how do I know if the pump is working? Thanks for the reply!
    I don't know what liquid setup you have, but see if there is a flow indicator. You could also feel the water reservoir and radiator (they should both be warm if the hot water is flowing).

This is the computer: iBUYPOWER Gamer Extreme 966SLC Maybe googling will work if the link will not. Thanks.

I seriously doubt there's a Swiftech or Asetek watercooling setup in that thing, more likely a rather low-end closed-loop liquid cooler consisting of a pump & radiator. You should be able to get your hands on an Intel stock air cooler in the free-$10 price range. All things considered that's the very first thing I'd do. Resetting the BIOS to default won't do anything to a faulty pump. Since it's already 3 years old most inexpensive closed-loop setups are close to the end of their life anyways if there are a lot of hours on it. It's not cooling properly, the next move is yours.

The link doesn't list actual specs, like model numbers or part numbers. I would agree that something is wrong with your cooling. Swapping out the CPU heatsink would at least eliminate one of the suspects.

I've had cases where the bios settings get changed somehow, which results in the OC error. That was on older systems, though. Mostly AMDs, I think.

I forgot to mention this: I had the side of the computer open. I put a small fan blowing into the computer and it still shut down. The air in the room was somewhat cool also. Do you still think the stock air cooler will help? Thanks!

Also, if I put a new heat sink and fan, do I need to take out the liquid cooling system or just ignore it because it appears to not be working?

Putting a fan on probably won't help, since the cpu cooler is made for liquid. It doesn't have the fins like an air cpu heatsink.

I can't see how your system is configured, but you'd probably have to pull out the liquid cooling, since it'll be in the way. I don't think you want to leave it hanging while you install another heatsink.

Can you see any model or part numbers in the system? Like I said, the specs listed are really sparse. There are a lot of different liquid cooling setups out there. Or maybe take a photo of the inside of the case.

Since I didn't understand the liquid cooling on this system, I called Ibuypower support. They were very nice. He said the liquid cooling was enclosed so it shouldn't need fixing (which I'm not convinced about since I've read other stuff). He said to start buy re-setting the cpu and heatsink. I carefully cleaned both sides and thermal pasted them back (probably not right words, but I followed good instructions). The temps appeared to be lower, but as soon as I opened up a browser and email, they quickly rose and within 10 minutes pc shut down. (By the way, the heatsink was very hot to the touch!) Ibuypower said the next step is to feel the water tubes to see if one was hotter than the other, which they weren't. Step 3 was to adjust the voltage which I am not comfortable doing As this point, I think I would like to try replacing the liquid cooling system with the proper fan if that is still a viable option. If so, could someone please recommend a fan for this gaming computer without spending a fortune? I now understand how to get the liquid system out. Hope all this makes sense. Thanks!!

He said to start buy re-setting the cpu and heatsink.
    That's what I meant in post #2. "Also check that the heatsink is properly mounted onto the cpu." If you're sure the heatsink is mounted properly, then I'd lean toward a defective pump or a kinked/blocked tube.

Ibuypower said the next step is to feel the water tubes to see if one was hotter than the other, which they weren't.
    That's another way of checking flow.

Step 3 was to adjust the voltage which I am not comfortable doing As this point,
    That would be in the bios. You'd need to verify the model of your CPU, and then check the voltage specs http://www.cpu-world.com/.
    This is related to what I said in post #2. If the bios settings are wrong, you can get an OC message. If the voltage is too high, then that will cause the CPU to overheat.

This computer has worked great for almost 3 years, so would the voltage thing really be an issue at this point? That's why I was asking for a recommendation for a new heatsink. I do't know how to verify the model of the cpu. Option 2 is just to replace the whole computer with a modest gaming computer. Thanks.

This computer has worked great for almost 3 years, so would the voltage thing really be an issue at this point?
    If the voltage setting is wrong, you can damage the cpu. It's usually an automatic setting, but I can't say without looking at the bios. Does the system seem to be keeping the date properly?

This is the cpu from the ibuypower description: Intel Core i7-960 3.2GHz
    http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i...601960%29.html
    V core 0.8V - 1.375V

You'd need a Socket 1366 cooler. What's your budget?

Thread Information