Concerned that my browser (Firefox) is running really slow

Thread: Concerned that my browser (Firefox) is running really slow

Concerned that my browser (Firefox) is running really slow

I only get the slowness with Firefox. But recently AOL was hacked and several friends sent me email through AOL with strange messages. I put them on the spam list and blocked their emails. Wrote them to check their computers.
    I'm wondering if AOL virus has any effect on FF running slow?
    Should I get the Malawarebyte PRO; I have the Malaware light program and run it every week. It doesn't detect anything. Just curious what I should be doing.

Win 7 O/S
    Webroot Anti-virus
    Malaware bytes
    Defragger

Anything else I should load up on?

Try running FF with addons disabled to see if any of them might be responsible... Click help>restart with addons disabled. Choose "restart in safe mode" when it restarts. To get out of this mode just close and reopen the browser.

Slow browsing/browser could be the result of malware but not always.

Malwarebytes pro is certainly an option. I bought a one time license a few years ago and have it running along side Avast a/v but by far most users don't use the pro version and do what you do with success.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

@Fink, Thanks I'll look into it by googling add-ons.

I'm at the FF help site and searching in Control panel for add-ons and plug-ins and there are non. But FF does tend to crash periodically. Is there something I should uninstall?

Here's a website about plug-ins but it wants to update the plug-ins. Not sure what I should be doing here.
    Last edited by Sal_gal; April 22nd, 2014 at 01:01 PM.

Firefox addons are shown in Firefox... Tools>addons. They are listed as extensions and plugins. Try doing what I suggested above and see if there's a notable difference in performance.

I don't see what website you're referring to but any site that suggests that it will update your plug-ins sounds dicey to me and I would avoid it.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Here's a website about plug-ins but it wants to update the plug-ins. Not sure what I should be doing here.
    If you mean Tools - Addons - Plugins - "Check to see if your plugins are up to date", then that's fine. If anything, it would tell you to update your Flash or Shockwave Director, which you should be doing anyway.

What version of FF are you running?

You don't have any addons installed? If you have addons, let us know what you are running.

What about toolbars? Those can definitely bog down your browser.

It's possible that your FF profile got corrupted/damaged. Backup your bookmarks first, then reset FF.
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...-most-problems

Thread Information