Memory usage for Windows 7

Thread: Memory usage for Windows 7

Memory usage for Windows 7

Since Win 7 32 bit only recognizes 3.4 Gb of ram then is it better than to put that much in. I got four slots so I can put 1GB, 1GB, 1GB, and a 512Mb. Or should you still put in 4GB like two 2 GB sticks? Does it matter?
    Note: My questions may be to help others
    Thanks, JB

If the system specs recommend using matched pairs of memory DIMMs, you may get better speed that way.

Since performance difference would be minimal between dual channel and single channel, you can select the least costly method.
    Cheers.

So still. I have Windows 7 32 bit. I stick in 4GB ram and it says that only 3.24 can be used. Does the rest of what's left with the 4 GB ever get used or just sits there empty?

Anyone know. I stick in 3 GB + 512 MB and it still says 3.24 is being used. I guess you could actually put that much in if you can find a match pair. 3 1GBs and 1 256Mb and save the rest for another computer.

I just have a lot of computers and a lot of ram and if 32 Bit is not going to use the rest of the 4GB then why put it in if it never touches the whole 4 GB.

I have also see websites explaining how to use the whole 4GB with a tweak.
    Thanks, JB

A 32-bit operating system only has a total of 4,294,967,296 of unique addresses to assign. Some of those addresses will be needed by the system, others for the RAM on your video card(s), and then whatever addresses are left can be assigned to your RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    A 32-bit operating system only has a total of 4,294,967,296 of unique addresses to assign. Some of those addresses will be needed by the system, others for the RAM on your video card(s), and then whatever addresses are left can be assigned to your RAM.
    Alright. Now I have been reading all this stuff for hours but I haven't read anywhere whether putting in 4 GBs is a waste and will not be used. I have seen statements saying "Windows 32 bit can't see more than 3.24" but does that mean that it's not using 4Gb. Seeing is one thing but the use of all the ram is another question.

Question 1: Does it use the whole 4 GB or does it not is the question?

Question 2: And if it does not use the whole 4 then is it better to put in 3.256 or 3.512?

I mean these are simple questions. The reason that I want to know is I can either buy some 1GB sticks and some 512Mb sticks or just buy all 2 GB sticks. I buy ram all the time and buying 512s are cheaper than maxing everything out to 4GB. Know what I mean?
    Thanks, JB

As Shinma said, the cheapest would be fine.

Thread Information