OneDrive sync.

Thread: OneDrive sync.

OneDrive sync.

I seem to have a massive issue with synchronizing OneDrive (formerly SkyDrive).

With W8 and all its updates there is/was a folder OneDrive resp. SkyDrive. I copied the Documents folder with all subfolders to OneDrive folder, and did the same with Pictures etc.; so far so good. However, whenever I change or add a document for example, or a picture in the normal folders, that folder is not synchronized with the existing folder under OneDrive. From what I understand this should happen automatically. Am I wrong here? When I right click on OneDrive , I can click on "Sync" in the context menu but nothing happens. Also right clicking on OneDrive the context "View sync problems..." is always grayed out. (Her is another question: Is the OneDrive folder a simple duplicate of the normal folder under Users/Username/.......?)

Secondly, I also transferred the same folders to the OneDrive cloud where I actually bought some space. No sync here either. In fact the docs. etc. are still the same as I transferred them into the cloud. in November 2013. No changes or additions are shown.

Thirdly, the sync icon in the notification area appears even several times until I come near to it with the mouse cursor, it then disappears completely, but no sync happens.

I did some research on the net for quite a while but to no avail. There is no answer for the situation I find on my environment, and that not even on MSs sites.
    Who can help out here? Please, ask for any more information if that is needed.

As usual, I did not stop doing further research. So, I went through this folder Users/Username/Appdata/local/Microsoft/OneDrive/update and found the OneDriveSetup.exe. My thought was, I cannot do damage running it, so I did. The result was that this file completely set up the OneDrive folder again w/o damaging the already existing subfolders and their files. It then started to run a complete update with OneDrive Sync Host Engine running (which it never did before). This Host runs a SkyDrive.exe located in \windows\system32. I have not yet restarted my PC to see whether it works alright, but I am confident that it does. Another thing also happened: the folders and their files got updated in the OneDrive cloud. Also, the icon in the notification area is now steady and does not disappear any more.

My comment: I do not know what caused the weird behavior, and I also do not know how the update file which is buried so deep fixed the whole matter. In case something awkward happens again, I will be back here.

Sorry, I have to back. The duplicates still occurred. I still do not why. However, I suspended syncing on the laptop some days ago, and this seems to have solved the issue. I deleted all duplicates wherever I could find them, on the desktop and the laptop. Sync will only be done on the desktop.

However, I found a new issue. When I add or change or delete a file in Documents, Pictures etc. it is not reflected resp. sync with the same folder under OneDrive. I assumed that this would be done automatically. Only if I copy the addition or changed files to the respective OneDrive folders which are the same names etc. the sync to the cloud happens. Deletion will not be sync whatsoever.

Iam asking myself what the whole thing of sync is all about. Has anyone some explanation?

An update for syncing on Win 8.1 is now available:

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-slips...tag=TRE17cfd61

I think I resolved the issue. Any update is done from my PC, on my laptop I paused the sync for good. Since then I do not have duplicates anymore. Also, I am beginning to understand the basic concept of cloud computing which OneDrive is. The issue can be seen as being resolved form me.

Thread Information