Motorola - Surfboard eXtreme DOCSIS 3.0 Wireless-N Cable Modem vs. E2500 for Wi-Fi

Thread: Motorola - Surfboard eXtreme DOCSIS 3.0 Wireless-N Cable Modem vs. E2500 for Wi-Fi

Motorola - Surfboard eXtreme DOCSIS 3.0 Wireless-N Cable Modem vs. E2500 for Wi-Fi

I have Charter internet and use their Motorola SB6121 Surfboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem (non-wireless) which is brand new today. I also use a Linksys E2500 which I think bit the dust after 2-3 years. I will try resetting the router to see if I can get it working.

My PC is currently connected directly to the modem and I’m getting download speeds around 32mbps with Charter. Unless I can get my router going again I’ll probably replace it with the same one.

I’m the only one in the house and use my laptop and streaming Netflix downstairs. I looked at a
    Motorola - Surfboard eXtreme DOCSIS 3.0 Wireless-N Cable Modem and Gigabit Router at Best Buy for $135.00 and the employee said he uses this modem with Charter Cable. I pay $5.00 per month for SB6121 Surfboard.

My question is the Linksys E2500 better for Wi-Fi and Netflix streaming vs. the Surfboard Extreme Wi-Fi modem, or are they about the same? I haven’t had any Netflix buffering problems with the E2500. I also realize you only get internet speeds you pay for and the Surfboard Extreme won’t increase my speeds. I’ve heard Charter may double their speeds in the future for free. If the Extreme is equal with Wi-Fi, I might go that route and have less hardware.

Thanks,
    Mike

Power cycle the router should all you need to do with a new modem.
    Once in a while I have had to power cycle the new modem, then power cycle the router again.

Power cycle, just reach back and unplug the power, wait 30 seconds and power back up.
    Test.

I found extending the 4 feet on the routers about a a extra 1/4 inch does help keep the routers much cooler which extends their life.

I have power cycled my router a number of times with no luck.

Do the Wi-Fi modems work as well as the Wi-Fi routers?

Do the Wi-Fi modems work as well as the Wi-Fi routers?
    I stay away from combo modem units. If one side dies, you have to replace the whole thing. Performance-wise, I can't see a combo modem beating a dedicated router/WAP, especially when it comes to range.

You might need to do a factory reset of the Linksys. I usually do a 30/30/30 reset. After that, you need to configure the router again, or import a backup of your settings.
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php...et_or_30/30/30

Do you have your modem and router on a UPS? If not, I highly recommend it.

May have given up the ghost too. That UPS does seem to help them live longer and stops all kinds of latch up errors.

I'll give that a try. With the router connected, I can't even get past 198.168.1.1.

I think it did give up the ghost. I've already ordered a new one off Amazon. I'm getting great speeds with the new Surfboard!

Mike

I would still try the 30/30/30 reset. You've got nothing to lose at this point.

Thread Information