Recommendations for new wireless router

Thread: Recommendations for new wireless router

Recommendations for new wireless router

Hello,

My current router is the Asus RT-N56U. I love this router--it has great range and a strong signal. However, it doesn't last very long!! The first one I bought was in 2011. It died 13 months later. I bought another, thinking it was a fluke. But it has now died again 16 months later.

I have looked at the RT-N66U and the newer RT-AC66U. But I don't want to spend heaps of money. I've been reading reviews until my eyes are bleeding! Can anyone suggest something comparable? Or a brand to stay away from?

I used to use nothing but Linksys, but have been less than impressed with what I've been reading about. I've also been reading about various TRENDnet, TD-Lik, and Netgear products. I hae a Wifi enabled TV, a couple of laptops, and an Ipad.

My house is a ranch--all one level and the cable modem is located in the center of the house.

I would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks very much,

Don
    Toolman55

But I don't want to spend heaps of money.
    What's your budget?

Do you have your router on a UPS?

Unless you have 802.11ac devices, you don't really need an ac router. The RT-N66U (or RT-N66R in retail shops like Best Buy) is pretty solid. My coworker just got one and he seems to like it.

Netgear is pretty good. Buffalo is supposed to be good too. Linksys got bought out by Belkin. I don't care for Belkin products in general. I haven't worked with Trendnet or TD-Link.

This is a good comparison site:
    http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwa...er-charts/view

That looks like a solid router, but the price is crazy ($250). It's the first joint router from the Belkin/Linksys team too. Compare that to the Netgear Nighthawk or the Asus RT-AC68U. All three are probably over budget anyway.

Thanks Midknyte and SpywareDr. My budget? I'd really rather not go over $125, but would if I felt it was worth it. The router is not on a UPS. Never has been.

Like I said, the RT-N56u installed easily and gave great performance. It is just such a short lifespan. I ran a Linksys WRT54G for what seemed like forever without a problem.

I appreciate your links and will read things over carefully. Thanks very much.
    Toolman55

The router is not on a UPS. Never has been.
    You should really put it on a UPS. Power sags and brown outs can affect routers.

For $125, you could get the RT-N66U or R. Personally, I think the ac routers are overpriced. There aren't enough devices out there that support ac to make it worth your while. By the time ac becomes the norm, they're be better routers anyway.

Do you use 2.4Ghz and 5GHz? If you only use 2.4Ghz (better range), then another option would be the Netgear WNR2500.
    http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wirel...outer-reviewed

Do you want Gigabit ports or not? If most of your devices are wifi, then it wouldn't make that much difference.

Just my personal experience--Have used Netgear for 20 years or more and never had a problem with any one of them. I think I'm on my third one. Kept upgrading to higher speed and higher security. Always got them as Staples in the 30 to 40 bux range.
    Biostar TA790GX A2+ 6.0
    AMD Phenom X4 9750 CPU.
    4 Gig DDR2 Memory.
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    500 Watt P.S.
    LG W2241T Widescreen 22" LCD
    ViewSonic VA721 17" LCD
    Envision 17" LCD
    2 LG DVD Drives
    Floppy Disk Drive
    Maxtor 120 Gig Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
    Gateway NV5378-U Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    Acer Aspire V3-731 Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Midknyye---you are right. I definately have too much router for my needs. I don't utilize the 5ghz range. And eberything I have now is wifi. But I do love the power of the signal the Asus provides though.
    Toolman55

Ok. If you like the Asus routers, then the RT-N66U or R would suit you.

Thank you Midknyte, and all others who made suggestions. I have read eveything carefully. I'm still going to need some time to decide.

Thank you all again.

Don
    Toolman55

Hi MidKnyte,

What is UPS? I know you do not mean United Parcel Service.
    Originally wanted Millenium Falcon as nick but there is character limitation.
    Falcon Speed = Millenium Falcon = Light Speed

Found the answer: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...clc00wven00053

"Why you need it: When power goes out for even a second it can result in data loss and hardware damage which can shorten equipment life expectancy. This battery backup unit provides sufficient emergency runtime power to allow for safe closure of open files and proper shut down of electronics when an outage occurs. In addition, it safeguards electronics from commonly occurring power surges caused by storms, activity on the power grid or high-powered equipment turning on and off. Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR) stabilizes incoming voltage, preventing chronic problems caused by minor but frequent power fluctuations."

I use a ups for my router, modem and switches as I hate them laching up from brownouts.

Got it Train.

Thread Information