Changing out motherboard

Thread: Changing out motherboard

Changing out motherboard

I have an old machine that I built many years ago that is running Windows 7 and I would like to change the motherboard from the Biostar i845GE-8712F to a Sony D915GRO (J2E1) that I have on hand.
    Will I have a problem with Microsoft when I change the motherboard? I plan to install the copy of Windows 7 on the new board.
    Dell XPS 420. Win 7 Home. 2.5G Intel Core 2 Quad.
    Seagate 1 T HDD and Seagate 250 G HDD.6G Ram.Acer 23 inch monitor.
    Verizon FIOS.

Is your version of Windows a retail box version, or an OEM version?

I bought the 3 pack deal from Microsoft.
    Verizon FIOS.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    That board you're going to use, google says it's an Intel board, not Sony. Did it come from a Sony computer? Have you checked to see if you can get drivers for Windows 7?

It came out of a Sony computer. I have another computer (my wife's) with the same motherboard and it is running Windows 7.
    Verizon FIOS.

Then you shouldn't have any problems. The only time you have problems with an OS, is if you had an OEM OS, or from another computer, like the recovery disks. Since you have a 3 pack, you should be okay.

? If that Sony D915GRO came out of a Sony system with Windows 7, it should also have a corresponding Windows 7 product key. No need to use up one of your Family Pack keys. Download/create/use a standard Windows 7 iso. Make sure to use the correct Windows version. e.g. If Sony came with Windows Home Premium, download/use Windows 7 Home Premium iso.
    Last edited by Shinma; April 17th, 2014 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Added link
    Cheers.

Since the motherboard was changed there's a good chance you'll have to call MS for activation. When asked how many computers that copy of Windows has been installed on tell them one. 1-888-725-1047

Since the motherboard was changed there's a good chance you'll have to call MS for activation. When asked how many computers that copy of Windows has been installed on tell them one.

Not if he goes the way Shinma suggested. A key code is all that is needed to use the Windows 7.iso from Microsoft. Or if he uses one of his own disks, since they are a three pack, he can use one of them for he new/used motherboard without a problem.

He can easily use the same key as before along with not reinstalling the operating system after the mobo swap. If OP wants to do a reinstall there's no issue, swapping a mobo without a reinstall usually means a telephone call if automatic activation fails.

And the telephone call is to an automated robot. You read them the code that pops up on your screen, (along with the phone number to call), and the robot then reads you a code to type in. Click OK and you're legit.

One time when I did this, they ask how many computers this copy was installed on. I answered "One", there was a brief pause, they said OK and continued.

I've had to call MS several hundred times over the years and have never had an activation denied.
    i7 5930K @4.6ghz, Asus X99 Deluxe, 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 2400, XFX R9 290X, Samsung 850 Pro 256gb, 4 Seagate 7200 rpm 2tb, Seasonic X1250, Corsair H105, Asus Xonar Essence STX, LiteOn iHBS212, Plextor 890SA, Corsair 500R, Win 10 Enterprise 64.

Thread Information