E-Mail problem

Thread: E-Mail problem

E-Mail problem

Hi there,

I live in a private road and as such, like everyone else in the road, we all have a complete list of everyone's e-mail address.

Last week, I sent out a newsletter, no worries. Today, I have tried to send another and continually receive a 'failure' message telling me that there are too many recipients. What could have changed in the last four days and how do I resolve it?

Thanks

Rex
    What if the Hokey Cokey IS what it's all about?

Which email service are you using? A public one like gmail etc or your own ISP's domain? And approx how many addresses were there?

It's normal for most public email services to limit bulk emailing because they are often abused by spammers. I am not sure of the numbers they consider to be too many though. That's probably something that changes depending on circumstances. Some ISP's do this as well by default and if this is your case then it might just take a phone call to them to lift the limit.

Not sure why it worked the first time but perhaps it got through, was flagged as possible spam automatically and then your own address was put on an auto black or grey list.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Sorry, it's all getting out of control. My ISP is BT (***@ talk21.com) which is all part of Yahoo. Talk21 don't exist nay longer but mail is routed to that address and has been for the last forever.

I'm using OE for POP3 and the web when travelling. Sending a message via the web has been fine and was received but until a few mins ago, the OE message would not go, nor would a test to myself. However, I have just deleted the non-going and recreated it by splitting into two groups of about 25 addresses each and those have gone fine. Don't need to do it again for some time, so hopefully, BT (or whomever) will have solved the problem by then.

Time will tell.

splitting into two groups of about 25 addresses each and those have gone fine.
    That would seem to indicate there is a limit on the total number of emails they allow you to send at once. If you did it while travelling then that is also another part of the equation... they see a new originating IP address from you and that would throw up another red flag re spamming and would also alert them to the possibility that your email account was hacked or hijacked.

Don't know what the travelling guidelines are but this was done from my home computer, the same one that I sent a flyer to the same 55 addresses last Thursday. So don't know what has changed.

I have done a sys restore and some scans and all is clean. It only worked when I split it into two groups. Anyway, 50 addresses surely cannot be too many? If it is, how do all the companies that send thousands out get around that limit?

Rex

how do all the companies that send thousands out get around that limit?
    They use their own email servers or have business accounts with 3rd party companies that run them.

I know a fairy; his name in Nuff; fair enough!

Thanks

Just a heads-up. I checked with the BT / Yahoo updates and apparently they are doing something. However, it does say that if one is using POP3 (I am) and I am, nothing should change. Seems to me they are working on a upgrade that will improve my 'user enjoyment' but f***ks everything up.

The real joy is in trying to resolve the problem, I called the BT (un)Help(full) line in India and they informed me that my e-mail address ****@talk21.com) is not recognised and will have to be changed. But the BT web site says that ****@talk21.com will not change.

But what do I know? Or more specifically, what does India Know?

Seems to me they are working on a upgrade that will improve my 'user enjoyment' but f***ks everything up.
    That's pretty much the goal of every internet related company.

Most ISPs have a limit to the number of senders you can have on an e-mail message, in a futile attempt to limit spam. All this really does is annoy legitimate e-mail users. Your ISP may have recently decreased the limit. To avoid this issue, you can use something like the free auto mail program. It sends e-mail messages and attachments to a list of users (less than 100 for the free version) by using its own e-mail server to send the message once to each recipient separately.

Thread Information