Resolved the threat, what is good preventative

Thread: Resolved the threat, what is good preventative

Resolved the threat, what is good preventative

My brother-in-law is a hypochondriac and PC Virus phobic, I like him but he is paranoid.
    He called me in a panic late Tuesday night that his PC had become affected and some phony Anti-virus had locked him up, not allowing anything else to run, and said unless he paid them $95, his bank balances were at risk and all his personal information would be compromised.
    I talked him in "off-the-ledge" and told him to turn the PC off and I'd take a look at it the next day.
    I took my laptop and the "tools" and directions on a USB drive that I copied from this site. I ran everything listed (about 2 hours) and in no time his PC was back to normal and running better than before the outbreak.
    He doesn't know how he got it, said he doesn't open attachments, got to unknown websites / links, and doesn't go to "bad" sites. It appears to be quarantined and running fine, but he's still paranoid and asking what can be installed to avoid this.
    I already had Super Anti-spyware and MS Security Essentials installed and running. And he also runs Malwarebytes and RogueKillerx64 periodically.

Please recommend additional / better tools to give him piece of mind. Thanks
    WinXP/98 dualboot - P4 2.4b 533FSB
    Asus P4PE/L MoBo
    512MB Corsair DDR PC2700
    HDD1 - 160gig Seagate HDD2 - 60gig Maxtor
    Antec SOHO File Server w/400 watt PSU

It's also possible to become infected from 3rd party ad servers that have been compromised so even just going to say yahoo.com can do it.

I would give up on superantispyware. It was bought out a number of years ago and is no longer kept up to date.

Have a look through this recent and similar thread and read about Sandboxie and some other thoughts..

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...ight=sandboxie

It's an application that runs your browser in a virtual sandbox.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

What browser is he using? There are plugins/addons that can improve security.

Adblock Plus, Disconnect, HTTPS Everywhere, Web Of Trust, NoScript

This article is about a year old, but still a good read:
    http://lifehacker.com/the-best-brows...vacy-479408034

MPtech--
    And he could use his HOSTS file
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    There is a hosts.zip file on the site which can populate his PC with blocks to several hundred of the worst sites. But he can add more as he sees fit.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Thread Information