Windows XP - What happens after April 8

Thread: Windows XP - What happens after April 8

Windows XP - What happens after April 8

Here are the scenarios.

Scenario A.
    - If I re-install Windows XP Pro on a clean computer**, the configuration of which meets al the requirement for Windows XP Pro installation,
    - without SP2, SP3, or any new XP updates.
    - after installation would I be able to check for these updates.
    ** with valid Key, etc.

Scenario B.
    Or, -
    - After installation of XP,
    - I install SP1, SP2, and SP3 (which are still available on Microsoft's official download site),
    - would I be able to check and update all the other updates?

Microsoft states that there would not be any updates to XP and ends the XP Support on April 8. But would that mean that Microsoft won'tallow any more access to SP1, SP2, SP3, and I cannot get my XP update even that they were available before April 8?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...f-support.aspx
    Will existing updates still be available via Windows Update after April 8, 2014?
    Yes, all existing Windows XP updates and fixes will still be available via Windows Update and WSUS.
    For updates, you can also get the Autopatcher pack once the final updates are added.
    http://www.autopatcher.net/forum/vie...a5ab582e66aace

You only have the original XP gold cd? XP service packs are cumulative, but you need at least SP1a or SP2 to install SP3. You should really look into slipstreaming an XP SP3 disc.
    http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/u...streamer.shtml

my "review update history' .. shows a total of 271 updates that are 'in place' and functional with a green check pass ., ....... will these updates possibly be available on other web sites to farm if needed if Microsoft no longer will feed you .. and what happens if you use your Microsoft install disc to re install XP Professional to another PC .. will Microsoft check the availability of said licence to use on that computer you would be installing the O/S to .. ????
    Windows 10 Home 64 Intel® Core™ i5-8265U (1.6 GHz base frequency, up to 3.9 GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)
    17.3" diagonal HD+ SVA BrightView WLED-backlit (1600 x 900) 256 GB - 5400 rpm SATA
    Windows 10 //21H1 (OS Build 19044..2251) 64bit //Google Chrome 118.0.5993.89 (Official Build) (64-bit)/ 16GB Memory/ AMD Radeon HD 7700 series Video Card//N68C-GS FX2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core /[/B]

I would not be using one License Key for 2 computers because that is a definite act of software piracy. Thanks todd and Midknyte. Todd, where would you find the 271 Win XP Pro updates other than the official Microsoft Website?

BTW, my friend gave me a Windows XP Pro CD, he told me that SP1, SP2, and SP3 are all in there. But when I displayed the CD, I see :
    Folders as follows:
    - DOCS
    - DOTNETFX
    - I386
    - SUPPORT
    - VALUEADD
    and files as follows:
    - AUTORUN.INF (size= 1 KB)
    - SETUP.EXE (size= 1284 KB)
    - SETUPXP.HTM (size= 84 KB)
    and other files:-
    - WIN51 (size= 1 KB)
    - WIN51IP (size= 1 KB)
    - Win511P.SP2 (size= 1 KB).
    and no Win SP3.

My questions now,
    a) Only 1 KB file for each of the SP1, SP2?
    b) What are these files (they do not show file-extensions)?
    c) Where is SP3?

Todd, where would you find the 271 Win XP Pro updates other than the official Microsoft Website?
    I already mentioned Autopatcher.

My questions now,
    a) Only 1 KB file for each of the SP1, SP2?
    b) What are these files (they do not show file-extensions)?
    c) Where is SP3?
    That's not a standard XP CD. Pretty sure DOTNET is not in by default. You'd have to ask him about how he got/made the disc. If anything, it sounds like a custom slipstreamed SP2 disc. Then you'd just have to install SP3.

That matches my slip streamed XPSP2.
    But DOTNETFX is added and the readme.txt was renamed SETUPXP.HTM.
    So XP SP3 is needed before any updates are installed.

That matches my slip streamed XPSP2.
    Yup. Just checked my XP SP3 iso. Looks like your friend made a slipstreamed SP2 disc.

Thanks very much, Train, Midknyte, and Todd for your help.

I have another scenario concerning upgrading from Win XP Home to Win XP Pro with questions which I shall start with another thread.

xp updates 040814.JPGI was able today at 12 noon pst april 8 2014 able to downlaod and installed 4 latest patches from Microsoft .. as I believe today April the 8th is the last today to get security checks and patches ....
    Windows 10 Home 64 Intel® Core™ i5-8265U (1.6 GHz base frequency, up to 3.9 GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)
    17.3" diagonal HD+ SVA BrightView WLED-backlit (1600 x 900) 256 GB - 5400 rpm SATA
    Windows 10 //21H1 (OS Build 19044..2251) 64bit //Google Chrome 118.0.5993.89 (Official Build) (64-bit)/ 16GB Memory/ AMD Radeon HD 7700 series Video Card//N68C-GS FX2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core /[/B]

From post #2:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...f-support.aspx
    Will existing updates still be available via Windows Update after April 8, 2014?
    Yes, all existing Windows XP updates and fixes will still be available via Windows Update and WSUS.
    Today is the last batch of NEW patches, but you can still get updates after today.

It's a pity that there won't be any further updates, but I'm going to work with XP as long as it'll be possible.

Yup, I have 95 programs on mine, and I have XP tweaked to perfection. I clone my HD regularly, and my data is backed up in 2 more places.

I though we would see news of explosions in the computer newsletters after 4/8, but so far nothing. I have a nickel bet with a friend. I think the hackers are just waiting, he says nothing will happen.

Win7 Ult/ 3.40 GHZ Intel Core i5-3570K /ASRock mobo Z77 Pro4 /SSD/ EUFI MS 3400 MHZ/8 GB RAM; Win 7 Ult/Verizon FIOS wired network
    Waterfox Classic/Chrome / Firefox 115esr
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The medium is the message." - Marshall McLuhan

Thread Information