Help with Finding Phone Jack for phone

Thread: Help with Finding Phone Jack for phone

Help with Finding Phone Jack for phone

I am moving to an apartment that DOES NOT (can you believe it?) have a phone outlet. I have a landline and need an Instant phone outlet. Would anyone know how or what product I would buy? Short of asking AT&T to come in and drill a hole in the wall....thanks.

The basics are pretty straight forward. This is a tutorial that covers it...

http://www.wikihow.com/Install-a-Res...Telephone-Jack

But you'd still need to get a phone company to get you set up with a connection to your apartment and at that point they'd usually do all that's necessary including install wall jacks as per this tutorial. There are wires that need to be run from the buildings main demarc point (where the phone lines come in from the outside) to your apt and usually that is done as part of a standard phone install or more often when the building is constructed.

It's hard to believe that there isn't one already.. they're as common and necessary as electrical plugs. Maybe there's an older connection box that looks something like this (sometimes even without the jack connector)..
    Attachment 12217

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

This is not something I want to do nor am I allowed to do. I live in a co-op.

Well the wiring, if it isn't there already, absolutely needs to be there so just installing a jack randomly on a wall isn't going to be of any use at all.

You're still going to need to call your local phone company to get a new phone service/number/etc. Do they not expect you to be able to do that?

What about your internet connection there? Are there jacks for that?

I already ordered the phone connection -- but found out AFTERward the place doesn't have outlets. I'll call the Phone comp. on Monday and ask for an outlet to be installed, but I didn't want to spend $$$$ and give it to ATT. Looks like I'll have to do that.

I can't speak for your situation but here in Canada, at least around this part of Canada, the cost of any necessary wall jacks are included in the initial hookup fee. Also it's a good idea to let them do all the necessary work because if there are any problems it's their responsibility to fix it and they can't blame you for installing your own wall jacks which they would be very happy to do.

What other types of jacks are currently there in the apt?

There are no jacks in the apartment.

Yet another reason to let them do it so there won't (hopefully) be any issues if you want to hook up a DSL connection via the phone lines. It's very likely that they'd install a simple box like the one in the pic above. I can't see them doing anything more complicated than that but they work just fine.

You're going to have the same issues if/when you want cable tv or decide on a cable internet connection although they may want to just run a cable to your room and not worry about a wall jack. I, personally, would not have a problem with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal_gal View Post

I am moving to an apartment that DOES NOT (can you believe it?) have a phone outlet.
    FYI ...

Quote Originally Posted by fink View Post
    Yet another reason to let them do it so there won't (hopefully) be any issues if you want to hook up a DSL connection via the phone lines. It's very likely that they'd install a simple box like the one in the pic above. I can't see them doing anything more complicated than that but they work just fine.

You're going to have the same issues if/when you want cable tv or decide on a cable internet connection although they may want to just run a cable to your room and not worry about a wall jack. I, personally, would not have a problem with that.
    The complex is wired for cable -- COMCAST but I don't have / don't want cable. I just want a landline phone. I have the internet through another service.

Comcast phone is possible'

Thread Information