My tower PC wont recognize .psd photo files

Thread: My tower PC wont recognize .psd photo files

My tower PC wont recognize .psd photo files

I’m using Windows 7, PhotoShop and Lightroom 4.4 on both my laptop and tower PC in my office. I also have NIK software on both computers. On my laptop I can save images as .psd images and I can see the PSD icon in the folder. It also opens in CS6 with no problem.

When I transfer the same .psd files to a folder in my tower, I don’t see the PSD icon, just a basic Windows icon yet it is a .psd icon in properties. When I click on the .psd icon, more images open up behind it. However, I can right click on the same icon and it will then open up in CS6 as a .psd file. Also, my tower can save a .psd file with a Windows icon and when clicked on, will not open in CS6. Instead recent images I’ve worked on open up.

For some reason my tower PC doesn’t recognize the file as .psd. Any idea on what might be going on with my tower’s file handling? Also, could this be a wrong setting in CS6 or Lightroom. I always start my editing with Lightroom and send it to PS for any further editing.

I haven’t installed any other photo software on both PC’s.

Thanks,
    Mike

When I transfer the same .psd files to a folder in my tower, I don’t see the PSD icon, just a basic Windows icon yet it is a .psd icon in properties.
    Are psd files associated with Photoshop on your desktop?
    If you create a psd on the tower and transfer it to the laptop, do you have the same problem?

Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling PS CS6? Did you check for updates on the Adobe website?
    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...atform=Windows

Sorry, I don't use Lightroom, so not sure about that.

psd files used to be associated with PS on my desktop. I don't know how to check to see if they are associated. Reinstalling is one of my options. Everything is updated.

I'll try some more research and then do a reinstall if need be.

Mike

Go to Start - Default Programs - Associate a file type or protocol with a program

Or right-click on the .psd file and click Open with...
    Choose PS
    Check Always use the selected program to open this kind of file
    Click OK

Thanks, I'll give a try!
    Mike

That did the trick...thanks!!!

I did the 30 day AVG trial and I "may" have tried AVG's one-step maintenance which I don't does all that much. that may have messed up file types. AVG is back to the free version and I have Malwarebytes. I'm trying Norton Security on my laptop and it slows things down...maybe it's a dog at first.

Mike

As an IT professional I have to say get rid of Norton! We consider Norton a form of malware. My preferred security suite is MSE, Malwarebytes Pro, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit and Comodo firewall in Safe mode. AVG has gotten extremely bloated over the years as well and sucks system resources nearly as much as Norton sucks period. The company I do IT for has 95 computers & workstations and was constantly having problems with security, viruses and malware until I took over almost 3 years ago. I got rid of paid Norton and everything else they'd been using then switched to MSE, Malwarebytes and Comodo. We haven't had a single issue since then. The new Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit is a must as well.

Thanks for the info. I did uninstall Norton on my laptop before the end of trial...it's a dog. It keeps getting rated #1 even though it's had a "dog" reputation. I could see the slow down with my laptop immediately.

Currently, I have free Advast on my laptop and free AVG on my tower with Malwarebytes Pro on both. Malwarebytes keeps catching PUP.Optional.Spigot.A on both PC's which I delete out of the quarantine. I have to Google this to see exactly what "PUP" is.

I've tried MSE before and will try your A/V combo. Thanks for the feedback!
    Mike

During installation, COMODO wanted to change my DNS settings to COMODO secure DNS servers. Is this necessary?

Mike

Not if it works fine without doing so.

I usually use Google's, or OpenDNS.

I use the secure Comodo DNS servers. They filter known malicious IP addresses and block them by default. The new Malwarebytes Pro also has blocking for known malicious addresses.

Yes, I also use MBAM Pro on all my Windows setups.

Thanks, I'll go the COMODO servers route. I got a new Motorola Surfboard modem from Charter today but I think my Linksys E2500 bit the dust. I posted a question on the Hardware Networking.

Mike

Thread Information