display issues - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: display issues

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    Did you run setup.exe or not? If you didn't run setup.exe, then it didn't install any drivers. Merely extracting the drivers would not cause a BSOD.
    the file was something motherboard, when i open it, it was to extract, there was no setup exe, i have it shut down, now, i;ll probably take it to the shop that built it, being i screwed it up when the device manager tried to install it.

other wise tomorrow i can delete that file and try it, i tried it both as run and as administrator, no setup exe was shown, where is it?

i've never had bs before until i tried this

the file was something motherboard, when i open it, it was to extract, there was no setup exe
    Where did you run "motherboard_driver_vga_nvidia_mcp68_vistax86.exe"? It will extract the "vga_vista32" folder in the same folder. In the "vga_vista32" folder, there is a setup.exe.

Again, just running "motherboard_driver_vga_nvidia_mcp68_vistax86.exe" does NOT install any drivers. All it does is extract (unzip) the files to a folder. It doesn't change any system files.

At this point, I think going to the shop would be a good idea. I think we've gone as far as we can with the forum.

Where did you run "motherboard_driver_vga_nvidia_mcp68_vistax86.exe"? It will extract the "vga_vista32" folder in the same folder. In the "vga_vista32" folder, there is a setup.exe.

Again, just running "motherboard_driver_vga_nvidia_mcp68_vistax86.exe" does NOT install any drivers. All it does is extract (unzip) the files to a folder. It doesn't change any system files.

At this point, I think going to the shop would be a good idea. I think we've gone as far as we can with the forum.
    I'll have to look in a couple days, see if it's in the vista folder where it was extracted to.

if it's not there trip time, it's running, but some graphics have issues.

Let's stick to the topic..

It was extracted to downloads, under Vga_vista32 the only exe there is DPInst.ex_File 368kb, there are several applications
    but it is not exe . there is one setup application 371kb when i right click on it properties, it is type of file Application (exe) ,
    Description Setup.exe,, is that the one??????????

Wow. Still working on it?

Setup.exe would be the installer file.

Are you sure that the file extensions are showing? That's probably why you aren't seeing the full filenames.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...=windows-vista

Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.

Click the View tab, and then, under Advanced settings, do one of the following:

To hide file extensions, select the Hide extensions for known file types check box, and then click OK.

To display file extensions, clear the Hide extensions for known file types check box, and then click OK.

Wow. Still working on it?

Setup.exe would be the installer file.

Are you sure that the file extensions are showing? That's probably why you aren't seeing the full filenames.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...=windows-vista
    Hardly use it at all had to find a file on it so thought i'd try it last might.

All the files are extracted, i have no issues with another file or hadn't , i tried to run the download as administrator, but it asked if i wanted to replace the other file. dll's show and bmps and some others that are in that folder but the only way the setup exe was found was tight clicking om the "setup"

It's not my most important thing to do.

I'll have to look at it next time i boot it,

the only way the setup exe was found was tight clicking om the "setup"
    Like I said, your file extensions are hidden. That's why you didn't see the .exe part.

If you can not see the extension, you are asking for trouble.

The picture virus have been around since about 2000.
    Names were like the "AnnaKournikova.jpg.vbs".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Ko...puter_virus%29

Note the double extention and with out enabling the extensions, you would not see the .vbs and infect your computer.

I was going to take a screen shot of all the extensions and show you, everything that was extracted from that driver file, i'll look at the extensions and get a screen shot, probably next 2-3 days
    It's been a long time since i used it that much, intend to get rid of it .

dats
    tks

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    If you can not see the extension, you are asking for trouble.

The picture virus have been around since about 2000.
    Names were like the "AnnaKournikova.jpg.vbs".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Ko...puter_virus%29

Note the double extention and with out enabling the extensions, you would not see the .vbs and infect your computer.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So are you suggesting the link provided to do the download would not be recognized and the vbs opens if as you say the file extensions are not proper? I downloaded it to one of my o0ther devices and it showed the file as application and 28,000 and more kbs but i did not extract it, not knowing on open if it would try to install. Just curious, i have not had the system up since .

If the vbs is there it would not show on any scans until the setup would be run?

No!

The link I posted was the background on that nasty thing. Not to download it.
    The .vbs would only be seen, if the file extensions where set to be seen. And because the default is set to hide them in windows, untold millions got hit by it.

Now you know why we have told you to enable seeing those extensions several times. Plus when having to browse a cd, it is easy to see what is the *.exe.

Are you wanting to download from Gigabyte?

Need a model and what driver you are looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    Are you wanting to download from Gigabyte?

Need a model and what driver you are looking at.
    That is the link i was provided here, i assume it was from there, maybe i'ts a bad link?
    -----------------

ALL those driver sets are compatible with your video card. If it doesn't take, then you can uninstall it and try another one.

Download and install the v15.56 set from the Gigabyte site if you're worried. That set is from 2010, but it's still newer than your current driver.
    http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList...8_vistax86.exe

Thread Information