Windows 8 (8.1) a bad OS?

Thread: Windows 8 (8.1) a bad OS?

Windows 8 (8.1) a bad OS?

I have Windows 8 and then 8.1 installed for a long time now. I read again and again in the computer press like PC World, PC Magazine and other publications how bad this OS is. I cannot find anything significantly wrong with this OS. Of course, the new "Metro" is not very inviting and with 8.1 it can be circumvented right at startup. Otherwise, I use the OS as I did Windows 7 or XP, and I had no difficulties using resp. learning it. I use one or two apps on the Metro surface but that is it.

There maybe on thing that should be greatly improved and that is the matter of the hidden features. But there were "hidden features" in W7 and XP as well. To learn etc. I search always for tips and tricks for each OS on the net and I get often interesting things which point to these hidden features. MS could do a much better job here. I also subscribe to paid version "Windows Secrets", which is very helpful discovering new things or simpler ways to do things (I can only recommend it).

So, I would be interested in opinions about W8/8.1, if you have the time to write. Maybe by reading it, We all can learn even more. Thank you

It is a good OS, however, Microsoft tried to force everyone to learn a new touch-oriented user interface for it. Unfortunately, most of their customers use desktop and laptop systems that do not have touch screens, so this was not what the customers wanted. The user interface still needs work. If Microsoft can change that to work the way their existing customers want it to, then it has a chance. Otherwise, it will be largely ignored by existing users.

I do agree with your assessment. I cannot imagine using touch screens at this time. It works for cell phones and tablets, but this is a complete different environment.

It's faster then Window 7. However, Windows 95 was a welcome OS from Windows 3.11, resisted Windows 98 for a while, windows ME had cliches so went back to 98, resisted XP as long as I could (then became a fan), didn't like Vista so went back to XP, swore I'd never use Windows 7, then loved it, read all the bad reviews about Window 8 so no way was I going to upgrade to it, now I'm posting this on my windows 8.1 laptop and like it (not a touchscreen). Interesting how I always resist the new OS's and then like them. Can't wait to resist Windows 9 when it comes out...........

We go through these things every time a new OS comes out. With a little effort you can find many threads here that talked about how "BAD" Win Xp is....

I used Win ME when it came out and liked it more than 98.... I'm still using Vista on a couple of machines.....
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Heck I found AntiX, Puppy Carolina 1.2 linux easier to deal with than 98 was.
    Win 7 on 2 desktops and Vista on the Toshiba Laptop.

Worked with 8Win 8, just do not care for the cell, smart phone type desktop.

Upgraded to Windows 8 (from Windows 7) when it first came out. I have to admit I like it. Unlike many folks, I like the new Start screen and have it completely customized for myself on the desktop machine below in my specs. I especially like my one click tiles to my frequently visited websites via Internet Explorer 11 on the modern interface.
    The Windows Store is a big plus with lots of apps that can be downloaded and installed without fear of viruses and malware. Nothing like that has ever really existed before that was free.
    After initial major struggles with nVIDIA display drivers I have taken to updating them with nVIDIA's GeForce Experience software and have never had any problems since. Windows 8 and now 8.1 is a winner for me.
    J.
    Cooler Master Elite 430
    Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
    Intel Core i5 2500K, 3.30 GHz
    ADATA 8 GB DDR3
    EVGA GTX 560 1GB PCIe
    Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM
    P/S: Corsair GS800
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
    . . . by Digital Storm

Thread Information