Win 8 (incl 8.1) and Microsoft Outlook Account

Thread: Win 8 (incl 8.1) and Microsoft Outlook Account

Win 8 (incl 8.1) and Microsoft Outlook Account

Is a Microsoft Outlook Account mandatory to be able to 'shop' in the Windows Store?

In the Windows Store is the upgrade software from Win 8 to 8.1. Any idea of by-passing that 'App' store completely to get the 8.1 stuff, if one's Win 8 'machine'** comes pre-loaded with Win 8?
    ** machine is a generic term for Notebooks, Desktops, and
    Laptops.

And on System Recovery DVD/USB/hard drive set, does it contain the various standard drivers, such as for Soundcards, Displays/Monitors, Comm Ports, etc ?

And on RJ45 10/100/1000 connection, is it supposed to take precedence over a wireless (WiFi) connection for a 'machine'** if a ethernet cord with a RJ45 is plugged into the appropriate socket?
    I have asked this question to a techie friend who works in a local computer store; he looked at me as if I had just arrived from Mercury. He said what part of the solar system was I living before, and where did I find a machine which does not, but he did not give me a straight answer. Perhaps I got him in his jovial mood.

Appreciate you good people's help !!!

Is a Microsoft Outlook Account mandatory to be able to 'shop' in the Windows Store?
    Yes.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...store-tutorial
    Installing apps
    To start looking for apps to install on your PC, tap or click Store on the Start screen to open the Windows Store. You need to be connected to the Internet to open the Store and you’ll need to sign in using a Microsoft account.
    You can download the Win8.1 ISO if you just want to upgrade.
    http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-...ndows-8.1-iso/

And on System Recovery DVD/USB/hard drive set, does it contain the various standard drivers, such as for Soundcards, Displays/Monitors, Comm Ports, etc ?
    What do you mean? It would have the drivers for your specific system. Otherwise, it would have whatever comes in Win8 itself.

And on RJ45 10/100/1000 connection, is it supposed to take precedence over a wireless (WiFi) connection for a 'machine'
    Not necessarily. Windows will use the connection with the lowest metric. You can disable automatic metric calculation and set specific metrics for each card.
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/disabl...ation-feature/

Thanks Midknyte,

Re System Recovery DVD/USB/hard drive set, what I mean to ask is 'would the driver's existing on a computer which does the creation of the System Recovery DVD/USB/hard drive be copied also as part of the System Recovery data'.

Quote Originally Posted by OneBigNewbie View Post
    Re System Recovery DVD/USB/hard drive set, what I mean to ask is 'would the driver's existing on a computer which does the creation of the System Recovery DVD/USB/hard drive be copied also as part of the System Recovery data'.
    The System Recovery DVD would restore the system to "factory" condition. It would be like the first time you turned it on, including all drivers and software that came with the computer originally. If you added hardware after that, the new device's drivers would not be included. Is that what you're asking?

Thanks Midknyte for the explanation. I get it now.

Thread Information