Win 8.1 Wireless or RJ45-Ethernet Connection

Thread: Win 8.1 Wireless or RJ45-Ethernet Connection

Win 8.1 Wireless or RJ45-Ethernet Connection

I have read many articles posted in the Internet about Win 8/8.1 connections. Even the HP website and the documentation that comes with the HP Envy Model 700-149 Desktop I (which is so generalized because every advice they give is accompanied by a precaution "select models only") states that I can only a) download or access Windows Store or b) to connect to the Internet 'by connecting to a wireless network'.

To wit, here is an example, on the topic of "Connecting to the Internet" : Connect to the Internet to browse the Web, read your e-mail, or perform other online activities, YOU MUST BE CONNECTED TO A WIRELESS NETWORK BEFORE YOU CAN CONNECT TO THE INTERNET.

Here is another example, on the topic of "Downloading apps from the Windows Store" : The Windows Store provides many apps that you can download to the Start Screen. YOU MUST BE CONNECTED TO A WIRELESS NETWORK BEFORE YOU CAN CONNECT TO THE WINDOWS STORE.

Naive enough for me, I set up the new Desktop (pre-loaded with Win 8) and upgraded to Win 8.1 by using a WIRELESS CONNECTION. But it was so S-L-O-W - it took me 4 hours 20 minutes to download Win 8.1, I would also say the SLOWNESS applies to downloading anything using WiFi (which I know because the spot I had designated to put the computer is not the best place on earth with many wireless devices and signals all over an area of 200 square feet - basically anywhere I move, it would be the same sad S-L-O-W-N-E-S-S). That was the reason why I installed TP-Link Powerline AV500 Nano Adapters (and had vast speed/thru-put improvements for my previous XP Desktop).

Question:
    When I switch on my HP Win 8.1 Desktop now, under 'Connections' I can see my User Name listed and it has no resemblance to the Wireless Network SSID that I previously used for my WiFi wireless connection. Also, I can see the RJ45-Ethernet connection light at the Desktop's socket going green (but sometimes it goes Orange).

1. Does it mean that I am now connected via the Powerline Adapter (with the RJ45 connection) rather than the WiFi "wireless" connection?

2. If it is not connected with the RJ45 connection, how can I change it as my default (remember I do not have a WiFi "wireless" connection of any reasonable usable speed, although I am using a D-Link Wireless N300 Router connected to a high speed Cable)?

3. One more thing that even that I have plugged in the RJ45 connection, I noticed that when I tried to download a large file (e.g. Microsoft Office 2010 which I purchased not from the Windows Store), my download kept on at slow speed that for a file of over 560 MB (the size of Microsoft Office just for Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and One-Note), the download STOPPED without completion. I tried many times, WITH NOTHING MUCH ELSE GOING ON IN TERMS OF OTHER DOWNLOADS OR INTERNET ACTIVITIES, the worst was that only 40 MB was downloaded before it stopped, the best was the only 150 MB was downloaded before it stopped). So, if HP claims that this ENVY Model 700-149 is for MULTIPLE DATA-HEAVY TASKS WITHOUT LAGGING, I think it is an example of seriously false advertisement!

I appreciate anyone who can help because HP is not the company to offer any useful advice.

Neither WiFi or Powerline Adapters are anywhere near as reliable, as fast, or as safe as a good-'ol Cat5/RJ45/wired connection.

All kinds of devices can cause wireless interference including, but not limited to: Bluetooth devices, cordless phones, fluorescent lights, microwave ovens, outdoor microwave links, WiMAX, wireless game controllers, wireless video cameras, Zigbee devices, other nearby WiFi APs, etc., etc. Even bad electrical connections can cause broad RF spectrum emissions.

The problem with Powerline Adapters is the power grid was never intended for networking purposes and, as such, is a quite unfriendly environment for reliable high-speed data transfers.

Consider, first and foremost, that every AC-fed device creates a momentary dip or surge (however slight) when it first powers up or off. Such situations are usually occasional, and as such can be dealt with packet retransmission (in the case of TCP) or brief loss (with UDP). More egregious, on the other hand, are devices that inject a constant stream of high frequency noise onto the power grid, such as:

• Switching power supplies (including AC-to-DC converters used in cellphone chargers and the like)
    • Motors in devices such as fans, hair dryers, vacuum cleaners, washers and dryers, furnaces and air conditioners, and refrigerator compressors
    • Illuminated CFLs (compact fluorescent lamps)

Such devices' noise patterns can destructively interfere with one or multiple channels' worth of powerline networking data. ...
    Next is the issue of networking signal attenuation, which is first and foremost caused by old or otherwise low-quality electrical wiring. Other potential problems include narrow-gauge wiring, with excessively high impedance; poor intra-span connections and variable gauge wiring across the span both result in unwanted reflections. Powerline packet 'jumps' across circuit breakers are performance-problematic; even more so are source-to-destination paths that involve a transition from one 110V (U.S.) phase of the incoming 220V source to the other phase. Even within a particular circuit breaker wiring spur, the presence of GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) outlets can cause problems, even if a powerline adapter isn't directly connected to them.
    (Source)

If you have no choice but to use WiFi and/or Powerline Adapters however, you might want to consider finding a good, safe download manager.
    Last edited by SpywareDr; February 23rd, 2014 at 11:58 AM.

Seems you are not alone
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...a-5a31b38c069e

Possible help
    http://optimizewindows8.wordpress.co...n-windows-8-1/

I find wired is about 5 times faster than wireless generally.

Thanks Spyware Dr and Train,

Yes, it seems that I am not alone.

Why are companies like Microsoft make the lives so miserable for their users who paid them for their crap? (HP is an accomplice, for sure!)

More pertinent for me now, how can I tell whether I am connected via the RJ45 socket or 'Wireless'?

Try this:

1. Get to a CMD prompt, type in:

netsh interface show interface

press [Enter], and make note of the exact Interface Name that has the word "Wireless" in it. For example, in this screenshot:

it is named "Wireless Network Connection 4".

2. Create a Disable WiFi icon

Right-click any blank space on your Desktop and select New > Shortcut. Type in:

netsh interface set interface "Wireless Network Connection 4" Disable

and press [Enter], then type in:

Disable WiFi

and press [Enter] once more.

(Of course you'll need to replace that "Wireless Network Connection 4" part of the above command to the exact name of your Wireless connection).

3. Create an Enable WiFi icon

Right-click any blank space on your Desktop and select New > Shortcut. Type in:

netsh interface set interface "Wireless Network Connection 4" Enable

and press [Enter], then type in:

Enable WiFi

and press [Enter] once more.

(Again, replace that "Wireless Network Connection 4" part of the above command to the exact name of your Wireless connection).

That's it. Now you can simply double-click your two new icons to Disable or Enable your WiFi connection.

Thread Information